Consumers willing to pay for mobile navigation services

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 3, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. sfh
    macrumors regular

yet another way for ATT to get into our pockets. ... It should be free of monthly charges... I don't mind paying a one time software fee

3. macrumors G3

bigandy

I'd pay a one off charge for TomTom, but there ain't no chance I'm subscribing to the Nokia model of subscription based GPS stuff.

I'd rather bring my old WM5 phone back to life, buy a BT GPS dongle and use that than pay someone monthly.

Grr.

4. macrumors 6502

One time software fee, that's it!

I agree that I'd pay for a TomTom like software for my iPhone but will NEVER pay AT&T anymore than the $165 unlimited plan (x 2 phones!) per month I am paying now.

5. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

6. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree. I ****ing hate it when people start changing their minds like this. Moronic bastards.

7. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. A Garmin or TomTom software package would be perfect. If not, a portable GPS unit can be had for well under $200, and I'd go that route over a subscription-based GPS service.

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm always skeptical of these willingness to pay market research surveys. How often do they actually pan out? People filling out surveys, asked in the abstract to pay for all kinds of things, seem to say all kinds of things. Willingness to pay for subscription model music, for instance, I am pretty sure was established by at least one major marketing house, but look how well that went over.

9. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

Same here. I'd be happy to pay outright for TomTom on my mobile but I'm not going to pay monthly for it, or any other. I'd rather take my existing TomTom even if it is a bit bulky. I don't know the reason why you can buy a separate GPS outright but have to pay monthly for the same thing when it's on a phone.