Contacts or Glasses?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

well... in about a week or two i get to visit the good ol' fashion eye doctor... thing is its around that time for new glasses... i usually get new lenses every two years or so.. this has been going on since i was a young kid.. anyway... i thought about contacts this time.. but then i also thought twice about them because when i was younger (6th grade) i tried contacts and i did not like them very much at all.. they were the hard gas type though... i mean im comfortable with glasses... but then yeah.. what do you guys think? :eek:

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I have soft lenses, and they don't feel like anything at all is in my eye!
    They're so comfortable! :)
    They only bother me when i get stuff in my eye, like an eyelash or water (not eye drops. those rock)

I looooooove my contacts. wearing glasses makes me a little seasick.
    I don't know why. Even sunglasses do it.

3. crowdaddy macrumors regular

I use both. I like the contacts as they are less to bear. It is just a lil' lens on your eye, no frames or anything to break. But your eyes can get tired of them after long usage, like 18+ hours in a row depending on your type of contact, so then I pop on the glasses.

4. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah i see what you guys are sayin... when i had the hard gas ones.. to take them out i had to like squint really hard and then blink fast and they would pop out.. is that the way you guys get yours out?

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

If you've never tried soft lenses, yes, you should definitely give those a shot and see if they work for you. If your prescription has changed much in the past few years (since you got your last pair of glasses) you're going to want to get a new pair of "backup" glasses anyways, for when you're not wearing your contacts.

I'd like to be able to wear contact lenses, but I've never had much luck with them. They bother my eyes too much, and I've tried just about every variation at this point. :(

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

When I've worn contacts I always had to stick my finger tip in my eye enough to "grab" the surface of the lens, and then sort-of slide it out. Not as icky as it sounds, and you get used to it pretty quickly.

They usually only "pop out" on their own when you least want them to. ;)

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is something disheartening about sneezing and watching your lens fly across the bathroom into the toilet.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have worn glasses since I was in the 5th grade, the early 1960's. At the time I saw all the girls having trouble with tearing. Of course then they were made of glass. Today's of course if made of plastic, so much more comfortable. My glasses are just part of me, the first thing on in the morning and the last thing off at night. Doctor's have told me several years ago that a switch would not be a good idea. I have very poor eyesight. It would be a personal choice. Your first option would be to see what your ophthalmologist would advise.

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Had glasses for years...
    then moved to soft contacts over a decade ago...
    switched to disposables about five years ago!
    They were great!

Am finding more and more I am wearing glasses again of late - but would love to have surgery! Lasik!

Have had several friends all have this laser surgery with amazing results!

10. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah im not a canidate for the lasik surgery... though the last time i saw my eye doc.. he said i could have lens implant surgery.. but then it wasn't FDA approved... and even if it was... no way in heck im gonna do that! don't wanna mess with my eyes...

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've actually never had my soft contacts "pop out"
    I even swim and shower with them in.
    I was swimming once with my nephew, and I forgot I had them in. I opened my eyes underwater, and nothing happened. They were still in when I came back up.

I felt like an idiot for doing it, though. haha.

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have both contacts and glasses. I wear contacts 1/2 the time and glasses 1/2 the time. It really depends on if I'm tired or if I want to look more intelligent :))), or if I'm doing physical activities (swimming- glasses, skiing- contacts etc).

Contacts are nice though and soft lenses are comfortable and one less thing to lose.

I do not suggest lasik eye surgury. I am a doctor and I have spoken with other eye doctors and many of them do not like it. In 2003 10% of all lasik surgureys failed. Many people have also suffered side effects such as eye dryness, ichy eyes, sensitivity to light, bad night vision, halos around lights at night, etc. Additionally if the surgery can take a layer of your cornea away because of the laser, so if you are doing this surgery at a younger age, as you get older, naturally more and more of the cornea will wear away- so in the long run, when your older your vision would be worse than it would have been if you just had glasses. (<<Sorry for medical rant)

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've had contacts for 24 years or so. I've moved from old plastic to disposables. I like the throw away feature, though mine aren't the cheapest around.

I do take my contacts out every night around 730 or 800 pm. I enjoy giving my eyes a rest and my glasses do the job just fine.

But definitely, follow your doc's suggestions. Usually they'll work with you on some different brands to see what fits you, and even give you a sample pair or two to wear a few days before the doc approves the fit and you order your first set.

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I use glasses when I'm driving, watching a movie or tv. Because I don't need them on constantly I think glasses are a better choice.

15. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

no no! thanks for the info! :) i read about similar situations as well... welp.. from im gettin at, personally, i think im gonna stick with glasses.. i mean they just fit me and my personality... isn't it by the time your a certain age your vision sorta stabalizes? like around 18?

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'v had contacts since I was 10. When I first put them in I couldn't believe how amazing they were. Now I don't even notice them. You can get contacts that you can wear without ever taking out for up to a month, and it's like having perfect eyes. I would never ever ever ever even consider going back to glasses. I love contacts.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Glasses for me. Contacts only for special occasions or where the use is necessary, say sports or any physical activity such as running.

18. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I use soft contact lensess

And trust me they are the best!

1. they are thiner than regular contacts and you will never tell you have them on.

2. You can wear them for an strait month or more without take them off at night. I have one one since December still!!!

3. If you loose one you just get the spare one because they came 6 per box ( if they are Jhonson $ Jhonson ).

4. Each box cost $17 and I think is less than just one of the hard ones.

5. They never brake like the hard ones, even that if they get dry they will pop up themselves but you can put them back in.

I started to use them 2 years ago and it was a very good transition from regular glases.

19. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Your eyes really stop there development around the age of 18 but it doesn't mean you cannot develop vision issues in older ages. You have to be 18 years or older to have lasik eye surgery preformed. Although the procedure is most of the time painless, the thought of what they actually do I find fairly discusting. Simply put they cut your corneal tissue to make a flap that they open up and then they use a cool laser to remove small bits of tissue to reshape the cornea to let the retina better focus light an give clearer vision the the patient. The flap of corneal tissue is then put back into place. All of this happens in a 10-15 minute operation per eye. Sounds like a delightful experience. :) :) :)

I'm a surgeon, I operate on people- but theres something about having your eyes cut open that I just find disturbing.

Do what ever to you like if you like glasses and they fit your personality go for it. Or try out the contacts and see how you like them. My friend tried contacts for a while but a month later she decided she hated them and switched back to glasses.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I used to wear glasses, but in between my 5th and 6th grade years, I got contacts. Mainly because I was a catcher, and catchers are not to efficient when they wear glasses. Any hoo, I find that contacts make life a whole lot easier. I swim and <sometimes> sleep (though you are not supposed to :p) and do all sorts of things with contacts in. However, if I am ever feeling very lazy and do not want to put in my contacts, I just wear my glasses. I would very much suggest jumping into contacts...

21. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

I also have soft contacts and really love them. I only wear my glasses in the morning and at night.
    I don't swim with them however, I've read that contacts are hydrophilic (so they don't dry out quickly), therefor attract some of the pool's water and retain some of it, along with the bacteria. That isn't a good thing, as the eye is a very sensitive organ.

22. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I spent $200 on contacts and threw them out a few days later in frustration. I don't know how people have the patience!

23. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Glasses for me. I just got a new pair a few months ago, rimless, anti-reflective, and transitions lenses. I had no insurance at the time so it cost me a whopping $300.

I've never tried contacts, just the idea of sticking something on your eyeball creeps me out.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ive got monthly disposable contacts, and by touch alone i can tell you they are soft! but it took me ages to get used to them. got about a year ago but didnt start wearing them until university where i ran a little experiment to see how long i could go for without people spotting that i wear glasses/contacts. i lost when an old college mate was showing pics of me from the year before :(

useful things contacts. and for some reason they stop my hayfever affecting my eyes :D

25. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

That was me! Back in 2002 when I got my contacts, I would spend hours putting them in. It was terrible.

Now, I wear them from the minute I'm up to right before I go to bed. I hate glasses now. Contacts are just better all around, I'd have to suggest them.

On the other hand, the first month or two is usually difficult if you're not one that enjoys prodding at your eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.