Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkarlsvik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Dear all,

This is driving me crazy! I have updated to IOS5 on my iPhone, I am running Lion on my MBP, and I just got my iCloud account up and running. The iCloud account works great syncing all of my stuff EXCEPT my contacts.

I have turned contact syncing off, synced iPhone with my MBP, turned contact syncing on, merged and all of that several times but all the contacts in my iPhone remains on my iPhone nothing on my MBP address book and nothing on my iCloud. What am I doing wrong? On my iPhone under "Contacts -> Groups -> iCloud" there is no contacts either, they are only under "all contacts".

This is killing me, the most important thing for me to sync is my contacts!

Please help.

-Nic

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Are you running the 10.7.2 Lion update which enabled iCloud on the Mac, and is Contact syncing enabled under System Preferences->iCloud?

If you login to icloud.com can you see any contacts there?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Dear all,

This is driving me crazy! I have updated to IOS5 on my iPhone, I am running Lion on my MBP, and I just got my iCloud account up and running. The iCloud account works great syncing all of my stuff EXCEPT my contacts.

I have turned contact syncing off, synced iPhone with my MBP, turned contact syncing on, merged and all of that several times but all the contacts in my iPhone remains on my iPhone nothing on my MBP address book and nothing on my iCloud. What am I doing wrong? On my iPhone under "Contacts -> Groups -> iCloud" there is no contacts either, they are only under "all contacts".

Please help.

-Nic

So right now when you go to Contacts>Groups do you see "On My iPhone" or something to that effect? Are the contacts there? If not, where are they besides "All Contacts"? If they are "On My iPhone", the only way I know to get them to sync to iCloud is what you say you have tried, which is to go to Settings>iCloud and toggle Contacts off and then back on. You should be asked whether or not you want to merge the contacts currently on your phone with iCloud and you should select yes (to merge).

mlotia

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Mac OS Address Book won't update contacts from iCloud

I believe I'm having a similar problem. Everything was fine after the initial set up, I'm on a MBP running Lion 10.7.2 and have set up iCloud to sync with my iPhone 4 and iPad 1. After the initial set up iCloud seamlessly imported all contacts and iCal info.

Now, by default, I add new contacts either on the iPhone or into iCloud via iCloud.com.

What I've noticed though is that my local Address Book on the MBP is not updating contacts, though the push is working fine with the iPad and the iPhone.

Any ideas? Many thanks,

-Mikail

PS iPad is on iOS 5.0.1 and iPhone is on iOS 5.0

Last edited:

sodiumman

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
same problem, but with iOS5 and Leopard

Since updating my 3GS iPhone, I lost about a year's worth of new contacts from my phone. Found them on MobileMe, sync'ed them back, but can't get them onto my iMac to clean up duplicates.

I have people on my phone that just won't appear after syncing through iTunes?? iTunes sync seems to be one-way traffic only.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
@sodiumman: MobileMe contact can be exported as vCard from me.com

@mlotia: You did turn on icloud syncing for contacts on the Mac, right? I get full two-way updates on contacts via icloud between iphone, ipad, and mac

greasemuntney

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
To get contacts back

I to just bought a Macbook Air (loving it) and could not get my contacts from iCloud to save to address Book. To fix goto System Preferences then click iCloud. Next to Contacts if it is CHECKED uncheck it. It will ask if you want to remove contact from this mac. Select YES, after reclick and put the check mark back and it will ask about merge select YES. then when you open you Address Book your contacts will be there.

edmundpw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
I seem to have problem with contacts on my mac and on iCloud.

My address book on my iMac shows duplicates of every entry, although some of the duplicates are slightly different, not reflecting edits made on my iPhone.

Do I need to have contacts on my Mac at all? If I get rid of the contacts "On my Mac", will I be able to use the Address Book app on the iMac, with it accessing the contacts in iCloud?

This is all very messy when it worked beautifully with MobileMe.

iSeanG

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
I had the same problem...I had to restore my iPhone (set up as new...not from a backup)

make sure you have all the contacts you want saved somewhere...all your pics sync'd etc.

After I restored as a new phone its been flawless!

matra65

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
I believe I'm having a similar problem. Everything was fine after the initial set up, I'm on a MBP running Lion 10.7.2 and have set up iCloud to sync with my iPhone 4 and iPad 1. After the initial set up iCloud seamlessly imported all contacts and iCal info.

Now, by default, I add new contacts either on the iPhone or into iCloud via iCloud.com.

What I've noticed though is that my local Address Book on the MBP is not updating contacts, though the push is working fine with the iPad and the iPhone.

Any ideas? Many thanks,

-Mikail

PS iPad is on iOS 5.0.1 and iPhone is on iOS 5.0

If the problem resist on MBP Address Book only (so that iCloud via web browser and iPhone are syncing) try to delete Configuration.plist and/or Sync.lockfile from user/Library/Application Support/Addressbook/Sources. Worked for me.

Reactions: thewhitehart

ricvic961

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
I worked on this for hours--You have to use the vcards. I have mine in gmail--transferred to my iPhone no problem. Then I somehow got them to transfer to my iPad,but could not get them on my macbook or iCloud. Gmail--then exported the card to my desktop and it worked. Good luck.

cgm707

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2009
Address Book Not Syncing iPad Contacts

I have an iCloud account, a Macbook Pro and an iPad. The contacts on my iPad do not match the contacts on my Macbook even though I have done a sync, made sure Contacts is checked under iCloud preferences, and, in iTunes with the iPad attached to the Macbook, have All Contacts checked.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

smoosh911

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Dear all,

Please help.

-Nic

might be because you have contacts being added on your phone to an email you have on your phone as default but you don't know it is the default. This video may be able to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.