Contemplating an iMac re-order

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OT2000, Jan 8, 2013.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #1
    Here's my preorder on December 20th... Still processing.

    27" iMac
    2.9 GHz
    3TB Fusion
    NVIDIA 660M

    But now I've had too much time to think and so I'm contemplating an upgrade to...

    27" iMac
    3.2 GHz
    3TB Fusion
    NVIDIA 680MX


    I know it'll knock me back $350 and a few weeks, but since i do a good amount of gaming and Creative Suite, I'm REALLY teetering on a re-order. My other desktop is almost 7 years old and lasted me well, I figure this one will probably have the same lifespan.

    Whattayathink? I could use a nudge...

    680MX/3.2Ghz > $350/2 weeks/660M/2.9Ghz ??

    Stay put? or Re-Order? TIA :apple:
     
  2. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #2
    I would make the re-order. I had the same config as u have right now and changed it, because in the end the maschine shoud last some days :). In addition if you are gaming a lot, I would definately take the 680MX !
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2012
    #3
    I would see if u can find it in a store because of how long the wait will be if u re order but if u can handle the wait it will be worth it
     
  4. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #4
    I spoke with apple today infact trying toget a ship date. the rep told me if you re-rodered now with BTO options the ship date is already in Feb, so your adding like a month not 2 weeks
     
  5. macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #5
    Do it, or live your life in eternal regret and sadness.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #6
    NutsNGum gets it.
     
  7. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #7
    No brainer to get max config if you intend to keep it for 7 years.
     
  8. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2011
    #8
    Maybe you can call Apple and have them "change" your existing order and not lose your place in the queue.

    But I am in agreement. Max that sucker out. From past experience, even if you don't make it 7 years, you will get a better resale value and sell it quicker.
     
  9. macrumors member

    nosnhojm

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2011
    #9
    I have (or had) the same dilemma as you. I just called Apple, and they cannot change the BTO options without canceling the original order. I told them that I would just stick with my 675mx, to which they graciously offered me free expedited shipping and a free superdrive. Wow. This is my first Mac, but I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.
     
  10. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #10
    If you're a gamer the 680MX is the way to go hands down.
     
  11. nosnhojm, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

    macrumors member

    nosnhojm

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2011
    #11
    I am, but not a PC/Mac gamer (I intend to build/buy a steam box later on). I'm more concerned with Lightroom/Photoshop performance...both current versions and future upgrades that may employ more GPU acceleration.

    However, the OP may have different uses and would game more?
     
  12. macrumors 65816

    ctdonath

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #12
    Nudge? Wait a sec while I get my bulldozer...

    (hey, it's your money and time! I can live vicariously with that!)
     
  13. macrumors 68020

    Acorn

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Location:
    macrumors
    #13
    the 680mx is a beast. if you have the means you should get it if all your worried about is shipping time and not really the money.

    This is what i usually tell people if money isnt the issue because if your borderline on a upgrade almost always you regret not getting it later.
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    TouchMint.com

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Location:
    Phoenix
    #14
    You might be able to pick up the config you are looking for but with 1tb fusion in an apple store. My Apple store had a few so check it out.
     
  15. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2012
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #15
    Go for it. I ordered the same as you on the 30th November and after much reading I changed it from the base 27" to the high one with 680 graphics card. I know it meant waiting a bit longer but I am much happier that I won't regret what I bought.
     
  16. macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #16
    It sounds like you really want the upgraded system. Why don't you call Apple and ask about changing your order? Sometimes changing an order will get you a better delivery date than placing a new order. Although since it's a different base model, they may treat it like a new order anyway.
     
  17. OT2000, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

    thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #17
    Because of my media trove, I need the 3TB HD. Apple Store rep let me know they will only get 1 TB Fusion model in, no 3 TB configs in store, since that's only BTO. Trying to go for the minimalist look at home without a bunch of external HDs hanging out of my machine this time around.
     
  18. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #18
    Done. Cancelled the old order.

    I'll be recieving this BTO in the first few weeks of February. It'll be quite a wait, but it feels good. :D :apple:

    27" iMac
    3.2 GHz
    3TB Fusion
    NVIDIA 680MX 2G Ram
     

Share This Page