Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Whoops I guess I'm not a *pedant* then, misread it. I only knew that word existed from a family guy episode anyway, oh well.

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

But in all seriousness, thanks for the post OP. I am in a very similar boat - I also own an ancient HTC running gingerbread. I too have been keen on the iphone for a while, but hold some reservations as well. Price and tinkerability aside, i think that it is worth mentioning another key 'feature' of my crappy android - the "i don't care if I destroy the phone" factor. I must admit that I love that I can take my phone everywhere, and never have to worry about breaking it, losing it, or putting it into a protective case. For example, yesterday I was using my phone down on the beach, and 'hid' it in my shoe when I went into the surf. Should someone have pinched it, or the tide whisked it away, I would have merely shrugged my shoulders (and perhaps be annoyed that my shoes disappeared). My friends iPhone, on the otherhand, was locked away in the car for the whole day, and never made it down to the beach as a result of a fear of sand, water, theft, etc. I have never owned a top of the line phone, and think that I may have difficulty shifting from the 'care-free' to the 'babying' mindsetmaking - I'm just so used to manhandling my phone....

All that being said, I capitulate that my overall phone experience isnt even in the same stratosphere compared to that of iphoners (particularly when they are not locked away in the car) - my htc randomly crashes, the apps are often second-rate, and every aspect of the hardware is rubbish. I have used ios in the past, and it is an absolute treat to use. I've considered purchasing an older, cheaper, and less precious device...but if do take the plunge, I would want to have all of the snappy features such as Siri.

One day I suspect that I will get an iPhone....but it would appear that I have quite the bridge to cross first!

Last edited:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I was trying to put a few hundred pictures and some videos I recorded back into the camera roll after wiping my iPhone. It was a horrendous experience that shows how iOS is definitely not fit for serious use.

Nonsense. There are a number of apps that let you plug into USB and copy files back and forth to your heart's content. iPhone Explorer for example. Some even allow file transfer wirelessly.

Objector

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Thanks for all the input everyone. In a few minutes I'm going to the store to purchase my very first iPhone... Anxious and excited! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.