Contemporary Christmas music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Every year we host the family Christmas party at my house, and every year it befalls me (among other things) to come up with the music...enough to keep people entertained for five or six hours.

And I have to say, after years of listening to them over and over and over...I'm sick and tired of Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra! They worked for many years, but repetition is causing them to wear out their welcome.

Last year I used iTMS to find some new stuff, and I came up with some jazzy stuff by Code: Indigo and Ramsey Lewis, which I mixed in with the usual Vince Guaraldi ("Charlie Brown Christmas") selections and some old standbys.

Frankly, there are plenty of vocalists I can choose from for the slow, traditional stuff...but does anybody have any good suggestions for jazzy, upbeat stuff which is like Mannheim, TSO or Guaraldi?

Keep in mind that my little group are all Boomers, so rap is gonna be a little too upbeat for us. :D

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well you can get the Rat Pack Christmas album on the iTunes music store. That might be up your alley. I also have a few Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra chritmas carols from the iTMS that are pretty good too. Sure it isn't that contemporary anymore but it makes my yule... cool. :cool:

3. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Harry Connick Jr's latest cd (2004 or 2005??), and Diana Krall's latest "Christmas Songs" (2005) cd will be great!

Those are two of my favorites. Let me know if you need more.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Michael Bublé has some good albums, Let It Snow! and It's Time, that works for Christmas time.

Diana Krall - From This Moment On album, is also a nice jazzy album.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Those are good suggestions, thanks, but I should've been clearer: I'm going for stuff that's mainly instrumental. Vocals aren't all that hard to find, really, but good instrumental is another story.

I do like the vocalist suggestions made, though. :)

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oh... that does narrow it down a bit. :eek: Now that I'm home I can see that (besides than the names you already mention) I only have 2 instrumental songs:
    Carol Of The Bells
    Good King Wenceslas

Both of them are from the 'Ambrosian Singers with The London Sympony Orchestra' off the "Repeat The Sounding Joy" album. Apparently the singers took a break for these songs. :p

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean there's something other than "Tijuana Brass"??

Jingle Bells:

Dashing through the bush,
    in a rusty Holden Ute,
    Kicking up the dust,
    esky in the boot,
    Kelpie by my side,
    singing Christmas songs,
    It's Summer time and I am in
    my singlet, shorts and thongs

Oh! Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
    Christmas in Australia
    on a scorching summers day, Hey!
    Jingle bells, jingle bells, Christmas time is beaut!,
    Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden Ute.

Engine's getting hot;
    we dodge the kangaroos,
    The swaggie climbs aboard,
    he is welcome too.
    All the family's there,
    sitting by the pool,
    Christmas Day the Aussie way,
    by the barbecue.

Christmas in Australia

Come the afternoon,
    Grandpa has a doze,
    The kids and Uncle Bruce,
    are swimming in their clothes.
    The time comes 'round to go,
    we take the family snap,
    Pack the car and all shoot through,
    before the washing up.

Christmas in Australia

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I did make my first "pre-Christmas" visit to iTMS and was pleasantly surprised to find that this year they do have a Holiday section, and it's even broken down into categories like "Jazz Christmas" and "Classic Rock Christmas", so that should make things easier.

But looking through it, I don't think I'm going to find much that sounds like Mannheim or TSO, but is fresher. They're really the only ones doing that kind of sound.

So I think I'll keep some of their better stuff in, along with some of your suggestions, some of my usual vocals...and some fun stuff like "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" and "Holly Jolly Christmas". :)

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

How about The Christmas Cocktails collections from Ultra Lounge. If I remember correctly, those were 90% instrumental. Currently, they're up to 3 volumes.

Incidentally, most of the other Ultra Lounge volumes are pretty cool. And the packaging is phenomenal. I bought a collection of "Las Vegas" style music and the case was a functional roulette wheel. They have a collection of island music with a plastic tiki on the cover, and there are collections covered in faux leopardskin and purple fur!

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I agree. :) I discovered April Stevens' Teach Me Tiger song from an Ultra-Lounge compilation CD and it's now one of my favourites! It's a great song for Christmas time, too.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

11. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I just bought "Christmas Cookies: Jazz Treats for the Holidays" and it's awesome! Great jazz stylings with great piano and trumpet work. All instrumental too! :)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Whatever you do, do NOT buy any recordings of a song called "Hot Chocolate". What a piece of ****.

13. yellowstarshine macrumors newbie

14. iPodLife macrumors newbie

That's my favorite Christmas tune of all time! And I'm familiar with Kelly's other music, but I didn't realize she had Christmas stuff out! I'm definitely going to go check this out now. Thanks!

Happy Holidays :)

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I never have liked Mannheim Steamroller and TSO. Vince Guaraldi's "Charlie Brown Christmas" is a great start. I also like George Winston's "December." You might go find a copy of "The Nutcracker" as well. I recently downloaded the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra recording from iTunes. It's very good. Those are my suggestions.

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

If you're looking for some offbeat Christmas music, with vocals, I can happily recommend:

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - "Everything You Want for Christmas"
    Loreena McKennitt - "To Drive the Cold Winter Away"
    The Clancy Brothers - "Christmas"
    Jethro Tull - The Jethro Tull Christmas Album

I really like Jethro Tull's take on Christmas music, celebrating the season, but with a slightly cynical take on the holiday.

17. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Sufjan Stevens, the musical genius behind the album Illinoise just came out with a fantastic box set of Christmas songs. you can pick it up on iTunes but the CD version comes with all sorts of great extras.

Sufjan Stevens presents Songs for Christmas

Another good one is an album by Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) that's an internet-only album: A Christmas Album

I've also always had a soft spot for the hokey-ness that is Elvis' Christmas albums.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Joan Jett

I suggest Joan Jett And The Blackhearts Little Drummer Boy

19. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

The killers are releasing a Chrsitmas song this year, haven't heard it yet though.

(Just realised: 100!)

20. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Good Gravy that sounds like a huge snorefest.

Tell you what, get the mp3 of the A-Team intro, play it looped and VERY loud for the duration, all whilst (badly) dressed up as Mr T and pretend to sob gently in a corner, only scuttling out occasionally to gorge on mince pies.

There you go, right who's next?