Contemporary thinkers who have changed your perspective on important things.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I've been reading and listening to some of David Deida's talks which have melded nicely with what I already know and have dramatically changed my thinking about personal relationships.

Admit to yourself that if you had to choose one or the other, the perfect intimate relationship or achieving your highest purpose in life,you would choose to succeed at your purpose. Just this self-knowledge often relieves much pressure a man feels to prioritize his relationship when, in fact, it is not his highest priority.

Your mission is your priority. Unless you know your mission and have aligned your life to it, your core will feel empty. Your presence in the world will be weakened, as will your presence with your intimate partner. The next time you notice yourself "giving in" to your woman, postponing your mission and denying your true purpose in order to spend time with her, stop. Tell your woman that you love her, but you cannot deny your heart's purpose. Tell her that you will spend 30 minutes (or some specific time) with her in absolute attention and total presence, but then you must return to carry on your mission.

Your woman will be more fulfilled with 30 minutes a day of undivided attention and ravishing love than she will with a few hours of your weak and divided presenvce when your heart really isn't into it. Time you spend with your woman should be time you really want to be with her more than anything else. If you'd rather be doing something else, she'll feel it. Both of you will be dissatisfied.

The force of attraction that flows between the two poles of masculine and feminine is the a dynamism that tends to disappear in modern relationships. If you want real passion, you need a ravisher and a ravishee; otherwise, you just have two buddies who decide to rub genitals in bed.
    David Deida.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Richard Feynman.

Uh? Made me laugh anyway. :)
  4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Who's David Deida? 'Cause from this excerpt he seems awfully ... keep your woman in the kitchen and ravish her dangerous.

Oh. And blind to existentialism.

Oh. And he seems to be basing his argument on a false dilemma.

But two.

Emmanuel Levinas

Jennifer Moxley
  5. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Desmond Tutu

And it is a radical thing that Jesus says that we are family. We belong. Sometimes we shocked them at home when we said, the Apartheid State President and I, whether we liked it or not, were brothers. But the truth of the matter is that when Jesus says we all belong, there is a radicalness that we have not yet fathomed. That we are members of one family. So Arafat and Sharon belong together. Yes, George Bush, Bin Laden, Sadam Hussein, God says, all, all are my children. It is shocking. It is radical.

Sermon at the Washington National Cathedral
    Wednesday, September 11, 2002
  6. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    George W Bush

Henry Kissenger

Vaclav Havel

and, to a degree, Shard (he knows why).
  7. Lau Guest

What a fantastic phrase. I don't believe I've ever been ravished dangerous. :p
  8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Mmmmmm, postmodern literary philosophy...
  9. atticus1178 macrumors regular

Apr 1, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Dan Brown, writer of The Da Vinci Code (for those of you who live under rocks)
  10. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Michael Moore

Michael Moore changed my perspective on American society. Before I read his books it was my impression that Americans were all fundamentalist Christian trigger happy yahoos with more money than sense. Now I believe that those Americans represent the most vocal part of the political spectrum but not the mainstream view which is often ignored and made irrelevant by corruption and a biased media.
  11. Lobo macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2004
    William McDonough

"I am strolling in a field listening to crickets and watching birds pluck insects from the dirt. Wildflowers bend in the wind. Warblers and thrushes flit about in tall native grasses and soar over the rolling terrain. The scene is rich, beautiful, lively, delightful-some might say wild. But this landscape is also a cultural space: I am standing on top of a building.

Our vision, simply put, is this: A world of interdependent natural and human systems, powered by renewable energy, in which everything we make flows in safe, healthful biological and technical cycles, elegantly and equitably deployed for the benefit of all.

The view from the rooftop suggests that this dream is within our grasp and, indeed, that it has already taken root in the granite gardens of our garden world."

As an architectural student, he really opened my eyes to how important sustainability should be in my profession.
  12. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Then you haven't lived Lau ;)

13. Lau Guest

I know, I know. <looks wistfully out of window>