CONTENTEDITABLE = Safari?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jvaska, Jun 3, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

if anybody knows of the "CONTENTEDITABLE" tag which resides in IE 5.5 and newer on pc's ONLY...then as a mac user you must be wondering when or if or how it might come to mac's...

i do...

it requires some kind of operating system adjustements as well as a browser that can work with it...

does anybody know, first of all, it will ever be possible on mac's and possibly if it's in the works...i'm dying to know more...

thanks...vaska

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

what does "CONTENTEDITABLE" do? I went to the W3C site, who maintains the HTML standard and could not find ANY info on it!

I hate, HATE it when a company adapts a standard only to leverage their weight and modify it - thus defeating the purpose for the standard and establishing proprietary code as a "standard". O hwait, it's Microsoft, so it must be OK. :mad: :rolleyes:

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

CONTENTEDITABLE

Content edit able
    content editable
    contenteditable

XLM (because strickly speackign it is not w3 compliant) tag for rich rext editable content used by JavaScript)

Yea, It sucks when script is browser specific.

4. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, but what it does is ****ing kick ass!

go see this product -> http://www.webedpro.com

you see this...without CONTENTEDITABLE you could update websites WYSIWYG with the web browser...which, of course, does not work on mac's...

but it's very nice...

and i think one day...the entire web will be WYSIWYG with the correct securities and permissions...

but i don't much about the technical backends that make these things work...i sure wish i could call Apple and ask them to make this happen with OSX...

vaska

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I think that the JS uploads back to the server the changes. It is cool and I found a few Mozillia links that make is seem as though it might be adopted there. It does suck when uniform tags are not uniformly adopted, created, or shared. That's my point.