Contest won

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamesmcd, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Well, it appears that the XP on Intel Mac has indeed been won (as announced by the contest owner). We will have to wait for bug fixes and the like before actually seeing the solution.

I guess we will soon, hopefully, be able to run those few necessary windows programs that many of us need.

One thing I was thinking, is, as Mac users, how many of us are actually going to 'purchase' Windows XP? I would imagine giving money to Microsoft is the last thing on our agenda.

2. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

couldn't we use the discs that came with our PC's?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm just going to sell my gateway laptop and not include the XP pro license, but myself an iBook, and install it that way..and if XP doesn't install cuz the OEM isn't designed...well that's a different story.

4. esaleris macrumors 6502

I'm really happy about the part about donations going toward an open-source initiative. That's really the spirit of it all, and the start of a new era for on-the-fence / potential Mac users like myself.

This just makes it that much closer to a Mac for me! (And I just upgraded my HD and RAM for my ThinkPad! Oops!)

5. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Oh right I'm sorry, I forgot that every mac user has a PC.

On another note,

I will be primarily installing it for my Online Uni tests. For some reason they decided that we can do some tests online. Unfortunately for me, to do the test I need to be using IE for Windows XP. (not even Mac-IE runs them).

oh, and also, for games...

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Maybe, maybe not, it depends on your PC vendor. The restore discs that come with PCs have a nasty tendency to include model checks, much like the ones that ship with Macs.

The Microsoft license terms don't allow OEM copies of Windows to be transferred to a new computer either :(

7. jkballer23 macrumors member

isn't this only for intel macs, not those of us you still have the PPC macs?

8. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Yes, this is for Intel macs. PowerPC macs have to use an emulator (like VPC, Guest PC etc.) and unfortunately, this results in awful performance.

The hack is good news for Intel Mac owners because XP will use the processor natively, meaning much higher performance than the PowerPC chip.