Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Is there any way to modify the "open with" portion of the context menu in Finder? Ever since installing the Adobe CS suite, there's a metric buttload of items for certain image file types. It would be really nice to be able to remove some of the ones I will never use.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Try this thread. You don't have to completely get rid of the all of the droplets, in case you think you might want them ever again. Go to Applications --> Adobe Photoshop CS2 --> Samples. Then right click or control-click on the Droplets folder and select "Create Archive of 'Droplets'" from the menu. It will create a Droplets.zip file. Then delete the Droplets folder and rebuild your LaunchServices menu through Terminal as the linked thread illustrates. That should do it. If you ever find that you need the droplets, just expand the zipped archive and they're already in the correct place.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
WildCowboy said:
Try this thread. You don't have to completely get rid of the all of the droplets, in case you think you might want them ever again. Go to Applications --> Adobe Photoshop CS2 --> Samples. Then right click or control-click on the Droplets folder and select "Create Archive of 'Droplets'" from the menu. It will create a Droplets.zip file. Then delete the Droplets folder and rebuild your LaunchServices menu through Terminal as the linked thread illustrates. That should do it. If you ever find that you need the droplets, just expand the zipped archive and they're already in the correct place.

Cool, I'll have to try that out. Thanks. I've always wondered about this, but never found info on how to fix it. It's kind of annoying that Adobe puts all that crap in there. Almost as annoying as Acrobat putting their BS tool bar into the middle of the screen on all Office apps....bunch of bastards!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
mmmcheese said:
Almost as annoying as Acrobat putting their BS tool bar into the middle of the screen on all Office apps....bunch of bastards!

Agreed...you know how to get rid of that, right? For those who don't, there are multiple ways to do it, but here's one of them.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
WildCowboy said:
Agreed...you know how to get rid of that, right? For those who don't, there are multiple ways to do it, but here's one of them.

Yeah....the alternative is to not open acrobat :D

I haven't gotten around to doing it this time...but it's annoying as hell. And sometimes if you do that, Acrobat refuses to open. Basically I avoid Acrobat if at all possible...and only use it for those few times when I absolutely need it. Sure would be nice if Adobe was considerate enough to provide a way to turn off these "features" instead of forcing them on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.