Continuing Panther problems-Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zzzuppp, Dec 10, 2004.

1. zzzuppp macrumors member

Ever since I installed Panther from the official Cds (A +I),things have been crashing and behaving weirdly.
    A resumé:
    Exposé stops working at random moments,usually when I'm online.When this happens,I can't access the Dock and the machine won't restart if I want it to-everything disappears except my Desktop image-and then nothing happens,and I'm compelled to restart using the button on the front of the G4.I've trashed the Dock prefs-to no avail.

In Sys Pref my Screensaver won't accept my own Jpegs unless i drag them into iPhoto.They won't mount from anywhere else.

MSWord (v X)crashes frequently.I've trashed the Prefs...

CD Spin Doctor (v 1.5.1) in Toast 5 Titanium crashes frequently without any pattern.I've trashed the Prefs to no avail.I'd love to upgrade but I haven't got a spare $99.

In my son's User a/c,his Toolbar (the white one at the very top of the screen) sometimes appears blank-just a white space,and clicking on things in the Dock doesn't help.We have to restart to resume normal service.At other times he gets the script for two different Apps overlaying each other in the white space!

Other things I've solved by trashing the Prefs.
    I've also-got rid of Norton Antivirus
    Run a Repair Disk and Repair Permissions
    Reduced and sorted out some of my fonts.

But the above problems remain....

I haven't zapped the PRAM yet.Is that a good idea?

PowerPC G4 OSX 10.3.4

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have this rule developed after 18 years putting up with that kind of stuff. Sometimes things go crazy, and what you describe is absolutley insane. If it were me, I give any machine 15 minutes. If I can't fix it, I back up data and reformat. Further, when I have a "great" system and everything's humming, I make a disk image using Carbon Copy Cloner. Eight minutes to install a perfect machine. Save your time and sanity... whack it.

3. PeterD42 macrumors member

Backup, backup, backup backup then Erase and re-install

The proviso to Les' advice is to backup BEFORE you have the problem. Coz sometimes you may not be able to back up when the problem occurs.
    Almost in this situation yesterday. My PB just froze - permission repair etc did not help. Fortunately didn't have to go the erase and install way. Archive re-install did the trick.