Contract OVER... DSL or Cable?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheMonarch, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I just got a letter form SBC, stating that my contract with them was over. They asked if i would re-sign the contract to receive a "special deal"

Currently I pay $37 for 3Mbit down / 512Kbit up... Which I had no problem paying a year ago. But now SBC has decided to lower the prices on "New" customers and they get DSL for $25 upon signing a 1 year contract.

The letter said that they would offer me their DSL for $37 for another year if I resigned it... WTF?! $37! Bastards! Otherwise it will go to $60... They can burn in hell before I decide to go with that option at least not when comcast will DOUBLE my speed for $17 LESS...

Oh, but here is what really makes me angry... My email will be gone if I decide not to be ripped off by SBC... This email is very valuable to me.

What is wrong with them? I know I'm not a new customer, but I don't have to be with them anymore... Can't they at least try to keep me as a customer?

Lower speed
    higher prices

Hello!? Get it together!
    I know DSL has always been more expensive, but this is retarded!

you think that if i call them up and ask for the 25 dollar deal, they'll give it to me?

If not, any other ISP's out there with good deals. I know comcast is right now, but I don't like them, don't know why. I'll only go to them if I have to...

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Is Comcast offering the Triple Play Package in your area? I just got the package through Cablevision: Cable modem, Digital cable and VoIP telephone all for $99 a month. Everything works great. My main reason for getting this was to get away from Verizon.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

This is one of the things keeping me away from Cable. I know it's less, but changing my email addy will be utter HORRIDNESS.

Also, we don't have a cable line in the computer room. Having a 100-foot long cable going from the TV to the computer room would TOTALL not be horribly tacky. :rolleyes:

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Thats why I hate having an email tied to something you pay for.

I'm in the same boat though, I have a .mac address and I know I will not pay for that forever. Just thinking out loud here, but I think I'll start transitioning to gmail starting now.....

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Moving from Cable to DSL, reasons being at my present place DSL is not offered and at the new place both are offered. However DSL is a better deals for what is included, even though I own my own cable modem. :(

Now if I can buy a DSL modem. ;) :)

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

that is one good thing about earthlink, I keep the same address wether by cable, dsl, dialup.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Comcast is upping the download to 6Mbit download - and I'm seeing about 5+ right now which is quite nice. I also have digital cable, so I get $10 off by having both.

But as for the email, maybe now is a good time to get one that won't be tied to your cable/dsl. Its a pain, but if you move, you might have to do it anyway.

See what deals you can get for the cable and if you want to keep the DSL, talk to customer service and see if you can make them make a deal - it can work, sometimes. Good luck,

D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I hate Earthlink. Hate, hate, hate, hate.

SPAM till the cows come home. You like SPAM? Sign up for Earthlink.

I have to bounce off my ISP's server to get my freaking e-mail from my hosting account.

I hate them.

Hate I tell you.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The filters I have in place have eliminated all spam to my computer, if you are not in my earthlink address book, I don't see your email. You can request to be in my addressbook via email though. I get to choose.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, I'm tired of Jolena telling me she wants to have hot three-way action.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Whitelist systems just don;t work for me. I have to be able to get email from lots of people I don't know.

As a sender:
    If I send email to someone *especially if they initiated and asked me to respond* and I get back one of those "thanks, you just need to follow these two easy steps for your email to be delivered" notes, it p!$$=$ me off no end. Double my mail traffic and waste my time? Each time I seriously consider striking that person off my list of people that *I* will respond to.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No! Don't say it! Jolena promised me that I was the only guy in her life... :eek:

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Dude, sorry. She said she wants me.

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Even Jolena gets offers for free penis enlargement pills. ;)

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

for business email I use my .mac or yahoo address.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

isn't that BS that the existing customers get the shaft? that really ticks me off. i'd tell them to kiss your ass right in the crack, that's complete rubbish! the email address, is it really THAT big of an issue? enough to pay higher prices to a clearly jacked up company with sub-par speeds?

i would go with cable internet. you will not have to drag some cord through your house, i assure you. (plus there are always wireless routers) i paid $25 to have them install a new cable wire into my office - the ones for the television will not work for cable internet anyway, as far as i know there is a difference even though it looks the same... don't quote me on that though.

cable is faster and cheaper and doesn't require contracts. i think you'd probably be pretty happy with it.

just my two cents

17. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Thanks guys, but I think I'm going to give in. There's just too many things linked to my email. Everything from my college's mailing list (the only email grades) to my online banking...

Man I'm pissed...

Screw you SBC!

:mad:

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

RoadRunner has been good to me. 5Mbps down, 400Kbps up. Cable. I'd like a faster uplink but the download has never hurt even with 8+ computers hogging it.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i wouldn't give in, substandard care and performance is just inexcusable to me. {{shrugs}} i am sure there is a way to keep the email address, or at least transfer the data; i bet someone here will know that answer.

... just think an email address is a very strange reason to keep a crappy ISP. it does make me thankful that i never used the email addresses given to me by ISPs though, thank heavens for gmail :eek:

online banking: isn't there a way to just change your account info to incorporate a new email address? i just go to my bank's website personally, sure simplifies things.

i don't know, just seems like such a bum deal, i hate to hear of someone getting screwed like this. are you sure that there is not another solution out there?

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree, your email address is a stupid reason to get the shaft from your ISP. If you switch, as long as you're switching your e-mail address, switch to something like Gmail (myself or someone else can give you an invite). That way, if the same thing ever happens where you have to switch ISPs or whatever, you don't have to change e-mail addresses.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're not that expensive :confused: