Contribute or Dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jaw04005, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What is the primary difference between Contribute and Dreamweaver besides costs? Fortunately, I'm elligible for academic pricing---so I can get Dreamweaver or Contribute for around the same price.

I have .Mac, and Apple seems to be pushing Contribute--but isn't Dreamweaver the standard? Any advice would greatly be appreciate!

Josh

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

stick with Dreamweaver. Contribute is more for situations where some web-guru sets up your site, and then you (or multiple people) need to do little tweaks here and there. Dreamweaver is a start to finish site building and editing program. If cost is no problem, stick with Dreamweaver.

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

4. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Dreamweaver is only $10 more than Contribute. Is Dreamweaver as compatible with .Mac?

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Contribute :confused: Never heard of it....so I'm saying Dreamweaver :D

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they're aimed at very different markets.

Dreamweaver is for people who are creating websites from scratch and Contribute is aimed at people who are maintaining and revising existing web sites.

With Contribute it's possible for somebody to take an existing template for a web page and modify it to suit their needs.....and that can be quite useful for somebody who wants to do a simple site. .Mac offers free templates if I remember, or you can buy them from various sites. Contribute is also useful for a business that has an existing web site but needs to have somebody in the office do minor updates and changes.

On the other hand, if you want to get into serious web design and create sites from scratch, then Dreamweaver is the professional level software to use