Contributor vs Demi-god?

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jun 19, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

I was just wondering what the difference between this:

2. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

and this is?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

No difference. Wdlove just didn't want 'god' as part of his title, so arn gave him a different status. Same privileges, just a different title.

4. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

So, is the 'status thing' negotiable? ie. Can you pick a title? That is, after the appropriate funds have been paid?

5. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

To an extent yes, there is Demi-God/ess and Contributor.

But you can't choose to be "Sexiest Person Alive", it would just not be appropriate.

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

i don't think it is. IIRC Wdlove did not feel comfortable with the title *God*, so Arn accommodated him.

7. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Yeah, I can imagine that the choice would be limited for reasons of good taste.

Maybe there should be a shortlist drawn up?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think its going to be exactly what you have now - demi-god(dess) or contributor if you have issues with being a 'demi-god'.

D

9. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Well that's fair.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I"m gonna contribute and demand that my name says (moderator) because i find contributor and demii--gods offensive hehe :)

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ha, I think you want the powers of a mod, instead of the title. :p

I would prefer to have no credit as a mod over getting credit as a mod and having no power.

Note to Mod/Arn:
    ;)

12. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Cheers mate. ;) :D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...somehow I don't think that's ever gonna happen... ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I felt that I had the obligation to contribute to this Forum. It's a great forum and well worth supporting. That is correct, I had an objection to the "Demi God" status. So I sent a PM to arn requesting and change. arn was kind enough to offer the "Contributor" title. Thank you arn, it's greatly appreciated. ;) :cool:

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you know, wd, i've been wondering why you were bothered by the name "demigod" on your status. if you're that worried about blasphemy, why did you join the cult that is applefandom? ;)

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Some people don't want to lose their processor ranking after they spammed (oops I mean worked) so hard to earn it. Seriously, I wonder if it would be possible and sensible to combine the processors with the contributor status, e.g.,

Your Name Here
    macrumors 6502 (contributor)

Now that I think of it, we don't need the word macrumors there at all, since it applies to everyone. So this is the simplest form that solves the problem:

Your Name Here
    68000 contributor

18. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I would like something like this done. Currently if a moderator is also a Demi-God, as many are, their margin is larger than everyone elses, as their title is longer. This results in the page layout not lining up, and is slightly annoying. At any rate, this is a little pet peeve of mine and would appreciate it greatly if it was modified somehow. If not though, I won't be devastated.

For an example in this thread:

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Are you using safari?

In any case go to your 'user cp' then chose 'edit options' at the very bottom of this page the second option up is for the 'style set' choose 'Mac OS X'. You'll like the style better, unless you are really weird and the framing will lign up. At least it does on my machine.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So I'm a 6502. Recently added avatar. Does that mean I'm just slightly above regular user, or that I'm cheap? :D (love to contribute, but I don't have the funds at this point) If I kept ranting... I mean posting, would I become a 68000? If I bought a mug, would I automatically become a Demi-God?

I'd rather be called an an Avatar, but would it get to the point where contributors can call themselves all sorts of things? Or is it just Demi-God or Contributor?

Wouldn't want things to become too chaotic.

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think you'll need 1500 posts to be a 68000....

i also wouldn't worry about the status so much. if we let contributors pick their status name, it would just make everything more confusing.

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay once and for all you have three choices. Demi-God, Demi-Goddess, and Contributor nothing more. Contributing just gets you one of those titles and access to the private forums and a direct link to Steve Jobs. Okay not the Steve Jobs part but there are some little perks that we'll tell you about when you sign up.

Your cpu designation does evolve with your number of posts. There have been a dozen plus threads about that in the time I have been here. I don't remember all the cpus but trust me they go in order about every 500 posts. Most of us don't know what our cpu designation is because we have been Demi-Gods so long.

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

or every 5, heh. when you hit 2000 posts, you become a 68010. 2005 brings you up to 68020. 2500 gets you 68030, and 3000 gets you 68040, which is what both me and MacBandit would be if we hadn't paid up. the next one is at something like 5000 i guess. whatever it is, it's 601.

stop thinking. just pay ;)

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My mother and I are still arguing who should pay for the mug.

Both of us are stubborn.

Neither of us will compromise.

This poses a problem. [​IMG]

Bah, ima make her pay eventually........ ;)

[​IMG]

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think you should pay for it. your mom doesn't talk to us on here and spend all her time with us. she doesn't follow the mac rumors scene...

by the way, what the heck are you doing arguing with your mom at 3:00 AM?