Control and Listen to iTunes remotely (Mac@Home, PC@Work)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyeluvmyimac, Jul 5, 2006.

1. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2002
    Hey all, I feel like I have individual pieces of the puzzle but can't seem to get them to fit together. Also, forgive me if this has been answered - I didn't search the forums though I did search google quite a bit. My dilemma is as follows:

Elevator Pitch:
    I want to use my PC at work to control and listen to the music on my Powerbook at home. Firewalls/proxies not an issue except the Powerbook being behind an Airport Express.

Detailed Pitch:
    I would like to control (play/pause/choose songs/FF/RW and ideally search) and listen to the music I have at home in iTunes from my computer at work. I've used apps like Nicecast which beautifully handle the listening, and then control can be done through many methods such as SSH/Shell scripts, AppleScript, etc., but I don't know of any way to do them both.

Important things to note are: The home computer is my Powerbook and it is behind an Airport Express (a potential issue but should be easy to solve with port forwarding I would think). The computer at work is XP/Gentoo (if there is a solution that works with both, fantastic! if only XP, thats good too). Firewalls and proxies at work will not be an issue so we don't need to take that into consideration.

Thanks so much!
  2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2006
    washington dc
    I have no idea how you would go about doing this, but it sure sounds cool... let us know if you figure it out! In the meantime, they do have these things called ipods... :)
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Perhaps an iPod would be a good investment ;)

Otherwise, I would say Nicecast + VNC
  4. eyeluvmyimac thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2002
    Lol. I have an iPod - but my iPod is not always charged and/or not always with me, and/or not always synced. Like yesterday for example I thought I left it at home so I had nothing all day except 30 second previews. (I noticed once I got home it was in my bag the whole time - stupid me).

I can't imagine that this problem is that hard - there has to be an app out there that does this well - I just don't remember it or haven't heard of it yet.
  5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    IIRC Apple had this problem "solved" in iTunes 4. One could give anyone on the internet access to your library for streaming. By 4.0.1, the record cos. had objected, and the feature was limited to your local subnet.