control+click not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dallasuo, Sep 23, 2005.

1. dallasuo macrumors member

This is probly a simple fix but I am a newb. When I try to crtl+click anything on the desktop or in finder, all the icons and menu bar flash and it closes finder or returns to the main menu. I don't recall changing any settings recently so any help would be appreciated. It does this with the ibook's keyboard and trackpad as well as with the BT Key and ms.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I have occasionally experienced that the BT keyboard got stuck. Have you tried to shut down the BT keyboard (by flicking the switch underneath) and ctrl click with just the iBook keyboard?

3. dallasuo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. It doesn't work with either keyboard. I even turned the BT off and tried but nothing works.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In your System Preferences, go to the Keyboard & Mouse section and in the last tab (Keyboard Shortcuts), click Restore Defaults. :)

5. ammon macrumors regular

Or you can try purchasing a new mac to see if it works. ;) J/K

6. dallasuo thread starter macrumors member

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe delete the Finder preferences then. Look for the file called com.apple.finder.plist and drag to the trash. :)

8. dallasuo thread starter macrumors member

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You may want to peek in Library:Contextual Menu Items (these may be present both under your system volume and inside your user home folder) to see if there is anything new or unusual. Even if the plugins there look bland and normal, try moving them elsewhere for safekeeping, them logging out and back in. One may be defective or corrupt and getting in the way.

10. dallasuo thread starter macrumors member

the only thing there is a suffit plugin. Would a clean install of tiger fix this?

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

You may also want to try downloading Onyx and running the maintenance items (repairing permissions, etc.).

Sure, you can do many of them without Onyx, but it's a useful tool for a lot of things.

12. dallasuo thread starter macrumors member

I ran all of the maint. stuff with onyx and still nothing.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried logging in as a different user to see if it happens there too? If not, then you might just need to recreate your admin user.

Of course, it may just be easier to do a re-install of Tiger at that point.