Control Mac iTunes and DVD's with phone??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDN, Oct 28, 2006.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new sony ericsson W850i and was wondering if i could use it as a remote for my MBP for itunes and stuff. I know i have the apple remote, but i was just wondering if there was any software with nifty features in it?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes. Salling Clicker. It acts as a remote control for your Mac over Bluetooth or WiFi (depending on the capabilities of your phone/PDA.) The SE W850i is specifically supported.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You don't even need Salling Cicker, just download the HID profiles from this page following steps 2 and 3 (says K750i, should work on your W850i though), or get the Sony Ericcson Bluetooth Remote Control app to make your own. 100% free.

4. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the info guys. Just out of interest, when i set my phone as a bluetooth device with my MBP it asked me if i wanted to allow my phone to act as a remote. I said yes, but now i cant work out how to activate it. Ive looked on the phone, and in bluetooth preferences. Am i missing something?

5. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

have you downloaded the java client for your phone, yet?

6. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

you have to download a java-client (it's needed to communicate with your mac, how else would it be possible with no additional software on your phone...) via wap. you get the link when you bought salling clicker i think. if not contact salling clicker themselves. they will tell you where to get it.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Which method are you using, Salling Clicker or the HID files? If you're using the later, go to Entertainment -> Remote Control on the phone (it should be something like that) and select the option you want.

9. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Are there any similar (free) Apps to control my Mac using a Motorola SLVR?

10. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

there is another freeware app but it hasn't been updated for a long time. the slvr (i have that phone, too) is not supported.

so i think salling clicker is the only solution. but the money is worth it! i use it when i sit on my couch to do anything (control frontrow, itunes, dvd, keynote, any app that uses applescript or even control the mouse). you can do everything you want with your phone.