Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Hello All,

I've been a PC user since the early 90's but bought myself a Powerbook two weeks ago and absolutely love it!

Problem: My stationary PC (windows XP) has a large archive of mp3 music files and is connected to my stereo system. I would like to be able to control the playback of the music with the Powerbook via my wireless network. In other words, I would like to be able to sit anywhere in my apartment and control the music that is being played on my PC, with the Powerbook.

I have actually accomplished this already by the use of VNC (using "Chicken of the VNC" for mac and running a VNC server on the XP box). However, that solution is not ideal. Firstly, the use of VNC means that no one else can use the XP machine while I'm playing music and secondly, the VNC interface is quite slow due to the protocol used.

Question: Any server-client type of music playback programs out there that would work in my case? The thing is, I need the music to be played on my PC (as that's the computer connected to the stereo) but I want the music playback interface to be viewed on the Powerbook.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Thanks,
Kane

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Heres an alternative way, although less than ideal.

1. Share Windows drive with all the muzak and mount on powerbook (pb)
2. Configure iTunes on pb to use mounted drive instead of default location
3. Install NiceCast on pb
3b. Run NiceCast on pb
4. Configure iTunes on PC to connect to pb NiceCast stream
5. Manage all your music from your pb using iTunes while streaming to your PC connected to home stereo.

Second Alternative.

1. Same as above
2. Buy and configure Airport Express and use iTunes to play music to your AE connected to you home stereo

kane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Thank you, but that would actually make the music come out of the speakers of the Powerbook right? That's not what I intended. I need the music to be played on the XP box as I have my stereo system connected to the XP box, meaning I get the music coming out of the speakers of my stereo, a major difference from the speakers on the Powerbook (which are good but no _that_ good ;) )

Regards,
Kane

kane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
The above reply was for abhishekit.

Thanks kingjr3, your first suggestion seems like a viable solution. I have not heard of the programs you mentioned but will investigate further, thanks!

Also, I have considered airport express but it won't be in shops until mid July and I need this working by the weekend :)

Thanks,
Kane

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
kane said:
The above reply was for abhishekit.

Thanks kingjr3, your first suggestion seems like a viable solution. I have not heard of the programs you mentioned but will investigate further, thanks!

Also, I have considered airport express but it won't be in shops until mid July and I need this working by the weekend :)

Thanks,
Kane
Ill help
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

I love this software BTW.

kane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks guys,

This is how I finally solved it (using kingjr3's suggestion): Downloaded Nicecast, bought it, installed it on the Mac. Installed iTunes on my XP machine. Shared my music directory on my XP machine so that it's accessible from the Mac. Played the music in iTunes on the Mac and use Nicecast to broadcast it to the XP machine where it's picked up by iTunes.

Works great! Only problem is that iTunes seems to have cut off the names of my music files so now they are all much shorter, sometimes you cannot even read the name of the song, just the artist :(

Regards,
Kane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.