Controling the wii, HELP!

Discussion in 'Games' started by timmillwood, Dec 4, 2006.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    I am waiting for my wii in UK and just wondering would either...

1) the gamecube remote work with gamecube and virtual console games

2) the classic remote work with gamecube and virtual console games.

if so which is best remote to use?
  2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I haven't bought any VC games, but from what I understand the Gamecube controller works with all the VC games but for gamecube games you can only use the Gamecube controller, not the classic.
  3. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks, because I like the look of a few gamecube and VC games, and if i can get away with only using the game cube controller that would be great!
  4. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    I don't have mine yet, but from a vid posted on the net showing what VC titles were available in Japan, on the screen that tells you how much the game costs (and possibly a description... but I haven't had any japanese in over 5 years now, so i'm not sure), there's a picture of each type of remote that is compatible with the game - Wiimote, Classic Controller (the new one), and Gamecube.

That way, you'll always know what kind of controller to have around, and not buy games for a controller you don't own.

Nice touch, IMHO.
  5. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    cool thanks, i guess i will wait then!
  6. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Joystiq posted a chart a while ago that you might find helpful.

Edit: even better. Wikipeia has a game-by-game lisy of controller compatibility here.

Attached Files:

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I'm glad the GC controller works for almost everything. Although the classic controller does look cool. The wavebirds design in nice so I'm goin to have to stick with them. I'll probably get one classic controller.
  8. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    after seeing that list i might go for the classic controller so that i can play mega drive games like sonic better, i think i will then buy a gamecube controller if i want some gamecube games
  9. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    The classic controller works wonderfully with old school games.

I've downloaded Super Star Soldier, a vertical scrolling shooter, and found it to be a lot of fun. (Always have been a fan of the genre). Even though I love the Gamecube controller, I think the classic one is much better suited for that kind of games.

Edit: Using the Wii remote sideways works for NES-Genesis-TurboGrafx games but I find it uncomfortable and awkward because it's thicker at one end. I also prefer the bigger classic controller's d-pad

Edit2: I wonder if the clips on the back of the classic controller are there for future ad-ons or if they're a fossil leftover from an early attempt at attaching the Wii remote to its back.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

You don't need the classic controller for Sonic; you only need one button (yes, the system had three buttons, but they all did the same thing in Sonic), so they let you use the Wii Remote for that.

I think though a Classic controller might work better than an analog stick for games like F-Zero.
  11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Played F-Zero with my GC controller before getting a classic one, and it handled quite much so that I felt that maybe I lost a bit of control when switching to the traditional d-pad! Think it's because those GC analog sticks are nicely firm, unlike the PS ones.

That said, the Classic controller also does an admirable job. I really like how VC games accept inputs from both the d-pad and the analog stick, without any need to choose one, hit a switch on the controller, etc. - a real step up from the PS, in my book.