Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayray1017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Texas, Houston
Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows of any type of software that will allow me to manually control the fans on my iMac 2.1 20" G5 w/isight? I downloaded a temperature monitor software and noticed that my temperatures are a little higher than what i would like them to be. thanks for any info.
ray

rayray1017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Texas, Houston
i have had the computer only a few weeks, and i've seen the cpu go as high as 80 deg. C. I guess the main reason for wanting fan speed controlling software is simply for the coolness factor. Also, the hard drive tends to get in the mid 50's.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Thats pretty hot. I would keep and eye on it. Its usually not a good thing to see a CPU get that hot. Pretty soon you'll have capacitors pushing out. When that happens you'll start to get intermittent kernel panics, or massive kernel panics depending on how badly it is. So keep an eye on it, and if it does this all the time, I'd take it in and see what's going on. Maybe the cooling system needs to be recalibrated or something.

rayray1017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Texas, Houston
thanks for the info. i think i will take it into the apple store to have it checked out. too bad that no one makes a fan controlling software yet for os x

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well the fans are controlled by the OS itself, so you'd almost have to hack the OS to modify the fan speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.