Controlling iTunes on a PM from a PB

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussiemac86, Oct 19, 2006.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Couldnt find a thread on this, although it must be out there, (my poor search techniques :) )

I have my main itunes library on my PM G5 (dual 2.5GHz), this is connected to my stereo system, which has speakers in several different rooms.

I also have an old 400MHz PB G4 (with WiFi) which is not in use.

My question is this, could I use the PB to control itunes on the PM, so for instance if im in a room away from the PM I can still control what is playing on the stereo.

Cheers

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have an AirPort Express? If so, you could connect the speakers to the Express, connect to the Power Mac with the PowerBook via iTunes Sharing, and then play the tracks back through AirTunes to the Express. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're after is feasible. :eek:

3. aussiemac86 thread starter macrumors 6502

For those that are interested, there are a few options out there, none of which seem very elegant, but it does do what I wanted.

The one which seems easiest to set up is browsertunes
    http://homepage.mac.com/markburgess3/browserTunes/download.htm

This one involves leaving browser tunes running on the PM and using a web browser (safari works) on the PB to browse to the PM's IP, then it has a less than elegant, but functional interface for controlling itunes.

I dont have an airport express mad jew.

There seemed to be some more elegant solutions out there, but couldnt get any others to work, check versiontracker for them if you're interested

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would think if you set up a vnc to your powermac this could be done quite easily

5. cashmoney macrumors member

use remote desktop and control the pm from your powerbook! :D