Controlling the Network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hello all,
    I was wondering if there was some way (either through an app I could download or airport admin utility or whatever) that I could observe / control who is using my network and how much. Specifically, my roommate is using his computer to download illegal movies, tv shows, etc, and I would like to be able to see how much bandwidth he is using, block certain things like eMule, etc. Is there a way I can do this?
    Thanks

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Are NetInfo Manager or Network Utility any good to you? Both are in ~Applications/Utilities ?

3. lordj4000 macrumors member

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

How is your network set up? You'd need to control things at the router, which of course might be your Mac, but that's unlikely.

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

if NetInfo Manager or Network Utility let me know that computer X is on and how I can limit it, I don't know how :(.

I do have an airport :). I'm downloading that application right now.

The router is an airport, not my computer, and I'm the only one who can adjust it's settings.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

i think the best you can hope to do with an AirPort - at least an Express, which I what I have - is to use Applications/Utilities/AirPort Admin Utility's Access Control tab to limit wireless access to your device. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty limited....

But... I suppose you could set your Mac up to have a set IP address (System Preferences->Network->AirPort->TCP/IP->Configure IPv4 set to "Using DHCP with manual address", then enter something, like your AirPort's IP plus 1, for example AirPort=192.168.1.100 -> Yours=192.168.1.101), then set the AirPort to serve DHCP to addresses above that (e.g., starting with, say, 192.168.1.102) so that your roommate won't get your IP when you're not around (or, rather, your Mac isn't on).

Then, go to the Port Mapping tab in the AirPort Admin Utility and forward all the traffic you don't want him to use (eMule's ports, for example) to your IP address. But this likely won't help with the apps you mention (it can stop him from using iChat or some games, but maybe not eMule - dunno as I don't use it).

But, AFAIK, the best you can do is to disable anyone but yourself from using the AirPort via the MAC address setting in the Access Control tab.

Or... you could buy a $60 Linksys WRT54G, get the hacked firmware, and have all sorts of control over things.