Controversial Freemium Game Real Racing 3 Hits the U.S. App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Controversial freemium game Real Racing 3 was released in the U.S. App Store tonight, after being tested in several international App Stores. Real Racing 3 is the highly anticipated followup to Real Racing 2, with real cars, photorealistic tracks, and online time shifted multiplayer gameplay.

[​IMG]
    Unlike earlier games in the series, Real Racing 3 is free to play, with time-based freemium mechanics. Wait times have been implemented for repairs, upgrades, and additional vehicle unlocks, which can be sped up with the purchase of gold coins.

Our sister site TouchArcade has published a review of the game, explaining both the upsides and the downsides of the freemium gameplay.
    TouchArcade has also released a guide on how to spend conservatively in the game, recommending specific cars, damage mitigation, and strategic repairs.

Real Racing 3 is currently available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Controversial Freemium Game Real Racing 3 Hits the U.S. App Store

2. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Hope it crashes and burns... followed by a "premium" $5.99 release without annoying freemium features.

3. macrumors 6502

Due to the title, I thought this game had sex involved.

4. macrumors 6502a

Am surprise they didnt release a premium or a monthly pass i hate waiting and nickel and diming ,

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

Such an annoying way to play a game like this.

I'd pay for it, I'd pay a decent amount for it, like $10 or $15 like RR2 but I'm not going to download it for free because it's such a rotten way to play a game.

6. macrumors 68030

7. macrumors regular

Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?

8. macrumors 65816

Because they make money. Plain and simple. Folks spend tons of money on those games.

Drives me nuts. I loved the earlier model of iOS gaming, where you'd have a limited 'free' or 'lite' version, with maybe one or two levels or something, and then a 'pro' or 'premium' version that was fully loaded. What an awesome experience for the consumer! You can try out the gist of the game for free, and if you like it, pay a reasonable price for a full featured and supported game!

9. macrumors member

Starting to download now. Still disappointed it's freemium.

10. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

In the top 20 grossing apps in the app store, only 3 are NOT freemium. Despite what people complain about. Freemium works, and can make more money than not-freemium.

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/gros/?device=iphone

Attached Files:

11. macrumors regular

Really?^

Anyways, this seems like an odd way to play. I have never really liked the idea of being limited to a certain amount of time, but if this is how they decide to do this then I guess only time will tell.

12. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

So basically, I'm forced to play a game by the way a guide tells me in order to save money? No thanks. That's not a very fun experience. That's more like Sims FreePlay which also forces you to follow their directions.

13. macrumors 65816

adam044

14. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

15. macrumors 68000

patent10021

Microtransactions suck balls. Unfortunately it looks to be the way it's headed. All the big publishers are doing it.

16. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

that's what the links are for in the article. [Direct Link] goes straight to the app in the App Store.

arn

17. macrumors 6502

I don't see how this game is "controversial" though.

18. macrumors regular

I can't picture dropping coins into a game to play it. Where would anyone get that idea?

19. macrumors 6502a

Because freemium sucks.

20. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Because that's how the mind of regular Joe works - attracted by the free price tag, downloaded it, got stuck in the middle with a 'wait or pay' dialog, feeling impatient, pay. At least that's how Candy Crush Saga works. Of course I hate those games very much but you can see how many of them are listed in the top spots of "Top Grossing" list.

21. macrumors 603

Yes.

People who are used to paying up front for games don't like freemium, so they don't play them.

However, 10 to 1000 times more people who don't like to pay for games download them because they're free to download. If a small fraction of those players later decide to upgrade, the game makes even more money than it would have from catering to the much smaller number of people who pay for games up front. Who cares if they complain? Further, since so many people can be seen playing these free-to-download games, they generate even more downloads from this free advertising.

22. macrumors 6502

Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

23. macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I don't mind in-app purchases when they unlock extended chapters or story lines (like in GOF2) whereby the user pays $4-5 for an add-on which includes a lot of added goodies. However all of the games which have "premium currency" or tons of $.99 upgrades drive me nuts. Those really make me feel like I am being hounded for my money, and if I am constantly being reminded that what I am doing costs real money it completely defeats the purpose (escapism & relaxing) of playing the game.

24. macrumors 6502

Will not download. Hope this game and other similar games that use "freemium" crash and burn too.

25. macrumors 65816

The big stupid masses out there is what all companies want to reach. And since they big stupid masses out there is a big majority of the population, it succeeds. Tragic world.