Controversy Over 9/11 Film Hits Press -- Here's Preview

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 6, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

e&p

all right, someone had the idea to do a 9/11 anti-clinton snowjob shortly before the midterms. i patiently await the uncovering of who all is behind this project (beside kean and the writer, apparently friends with limbaugh), but who in ABC?

further:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

havent watched ABC for a long time, been watching NBC since Mr. West said that famous sentence after Katrina....... But seriously, nowadays, except NPR/PBS, no news outlet is trustworthy.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Steve Jobs.:D

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Tom Kean would only know truth if it hit him in the wallet. He constantly told everyone how well New Jersey was doing and then, the next governor had a huge mess to clean up.

That's beside the point, but why does anything that's displayed on television come across as 100 % truth? Then again, I hear things my adoptive mum says about how things are...uggh. She watches too much t.v.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wasn't it ABC that cancelled the Reagan miniseries over conservative objections that James Brolin was involved?

Talk about theliberalmedia!

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Tell ya what. I'm gonna wait until this thing runs, just so people can't say I'm criticizing it without seeing it. Then if it is as bad as it appears it's going to be, I'll write a formal but extremely firm e-mail to ABC, just so they know how unhappy I am with their little rewrite of history, not to mention their mealy-mouthed excuses for it. I'll probably also write to the sponsors. (Edit: I'll also write to the mainstream media to encourage them to make a big issue of this. And to the FCC, which should really be paying attention to stuff like this instead of Janet Jackson's t**s.)

I don't know that it'll do any good, but neocons wail all the time to the media about how they are being "wronged". I have the same right when the truth is genuinely being given a good mugging.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

that's not all:

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The concerns about ABC are valid.

But for the record, CBS was the network that refused to show the Reagan biopic. They ended up palming it off on their sister network, Showtime.

But even then, CBS's action was a refusal to show a complete, warts-and-all portrayal of Reagan. ABC's is worse, because despite their attempts to term it a "docudrama", they intend to present a conservative-dictated revision of history. This will lend aid and comfort to demagogues like Limbaugh, and possibly influence the November election by influencing people's choices with false information. Despicable.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Some swift reactions to ABC's "docudrama", courtesy of DailyKos:

As previously noted, reaction by Bill Clinton:

Reaction by Sept. 11 families:

Reaction by an author interviewed on MSNBC:

(My bold.)

Frankly, I hope Clinton sues. Freedom of speech may allow people to say a lot of things about Clinton, but it does not give ABC the right to make up things that they know to be false, whether they call it a "drama" or not. I'm no lawyer, but from what I do know, I think Clinton might have a case for slander.

Also, I'd love to see an interview with that FBI agent/consultant, and see what else he can tell us about how this thing got made.

My favorite reaction, though, comes from Tom Tomorrow:

[​IMG]

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The funny thing is, the righties were just up in arms about the documentary style show depicting the assasaination of Bush. And now suddenly they don't care about accurate depictions as long as it helps their side in the election.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Normally I'd say wait until the film is out to criticize so you can see for yourself. But if Clarke says it's malarkey, and they send it to Limbaugh but not Albright, that raises my ire. I'm not going to slam the film without all the details, but I don't plan on watching it.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If the descriptions of the scenes where Clinton is portrayed as too engrossed with the Monica scandal, and the calling off of a clear shot at bin Laden, are accurate I don't need to see it to know that this movie is pure propoganda.

Don't the righties get all offended when Muslims take "artistic license" with their portrayal of Jews? "Sure the show portrays Jews as bloodthirsty evil murderers, but didn't you see the disclaimer beforehand that said this was only loosely based in reality?" I'm sure that excuse would go over real well with someone like dogbone who has spent so much time decrying Arab propoganda regarding Jews.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wouldn't that actually make the Republicans look bad? I mean, if the Dems, who aren't anywhere near to being in power right now, are somehow hindering Bush's job performance by criticizing his lack of planning for the war, wouldn't the Repubs at the time have hindered Clinton by trying to find scandal where there really wasn't? Er, until they got lucky, and Clinton got stupid, and there was. But even then, they still could have let the man do his job, waiting until afterwards to judge him like they want us to do with Bush.

Ah, but there I am trying to apply logic to this again aren't I.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Disney's position on "political films" in '04:

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

scholastic is dropping its deal with disney:

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

americablog has a new one for ya:

[​IMG]

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i see that the senate dems have written disney a letter:
    seems disney's broadcast license is under veiled threat here.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ahh, with Republicans controlling the FCC, there's no way the Dems can really threaten Disney's license right now.

But I like the letter. It sounds very well-informed, and blows a huge hole in Disney's "You can't criticize it if you haven't seen it" defense. Obviously people in a position to know the way it really happened have seen it, and haven't liked what they've seen.

Hey, I'm aware the scale of the "crime" is quite different, but how does Disney's revisionism really differ from that guy in Iran who claims the Holocaust never happened? You know, President Asxdftkhsbrv.

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe Disney's motivation is to get back at the meticulous fact-finder's foibles with Pluto.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

First off, lemme say that IMO lots of people has many bits and pieces all through the sequence of events, from before Clinton, through his tenure, and into Bush's time. IMO, it's less "fault" than an institutional problem of fragmented bodies of knowledge and poor communications. NSA/CIA/FBI, etc., and on and on. They don't always know what's important, from one to another.

I'm less interested in fault than in fixing as much as we can in order to avoid any repetitions of whatever mistakes were made.

I received an email with this: By Govindini Murty

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/authors.asp?ID=3045

I don't know anything about the site's politics, or about that author. One paragraph includes the statement,

"The five-hour miniseries (aired over two nights) is based on the 9/11 Commission report, and also on ABC News correspondent John Miller's book, "The Cell.""

Somebody who's read "The Cell" can speak to its accuracy. I don't think the 9/11 Commission report is fiction, is it?

'Rat

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:confused: have you even read that letter? it most obviously is a very right-wing site and its only motive of appreciation of the miniseries is that it is anti-clinton, specifically referring to a scene that is, according to all other sources, patently false.
    that paragraph alone qualifies this as right wing propaganda.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Umm.. yeah. FrontPageMag is David Horowitz's site.

I'd think twice (at least) before I accepted anything from him as unbiased.

And while the 9/11 commision report is not fiction, from what I hear this movie misrepresents parts of the 9/11 commission report.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think it would be illustrative to look at some statements from prominent conservatives back when CBS was about to air The Reagans. Via Glenn Greenwald:
    Where is all this concern for honesty and integrity now?

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh heh heh. I read someplace -- I think it was DailyKos -- that the guy who wrote the script for "Path to 9/11" is a buddy of Limbaugh. :D Wait a minute...hold on...hold on...

Okay, didn't find my original source, but I did find this quote from Limbaugh himself:

So. :D

25. iGary Guest

iGary