Convergence : Massive hardware revamp coming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RichyHo, Mar 7, 2007.

1. RichyHo macrumors member

RichyHo

I just noticed in the buyer's guide that the Mac Mini, iMac, MacPro and cinema displays are all coming to the end of their respective refresh cycles. OK, so that makes it a bad time to buy any of them (unless you really need them), but what a coincidence... new OS just around the corner too.... I'm betting that the 'secret features' in 10.5 tie-in with a whole new hardware concept. The form factors may stay the same, but with an integrated "new technology".

Or not :rolleyes:

2. mhiero macrumors member

thats why I'm waiting until after april's apple announcement to buy my new iMac :)

3. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

LED-lit MacBooks and MacBook Pros, 8 Core Mac Pros (with ATI Radeon X2800 XT), new iMac design and Core 2 Duo Mac Mini.

4. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

When do YOU think LED-lit MBPs will arrive? I hope April.

5. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I think when Santa Rosa platform is released (sometime in May).

6. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

This why ill wait till fall to buy a MacBook. new OS and buy then the bugs will be worked out

7. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

What are you talking about? The current Macs are fine and the only thing to wait for here is the new OS called Leopard.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes. but considering Tiger's release had some bugs, people might want to wait for Leopard, and the MacBooks will be updated by the end of Spring/in Summer at the very latest, with Santa Rosa most likely, which will hopefully give a small graphics boost too.

yes there is nothing wrong with the line-up right now, but if you don't need it, you can always wait for the next refresh/update.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Met A Guy Who Ordered A 3GHz Mac Pro Yesterday And He Wouldn't Stop The Order.

When I told him why, his eyes just sort of glazed over and he didn't have a clue about Clovertown nor Leopard. I said "What if they add HDMI i/o" and he was even more unwilling to admit he had no clue what HDMI was. I told him he had 10 days to cancel but I think he is so invested in his mistake that he's not going to believe he should have waited a few more weeks or months worst case. He thinks he got a deal becaues he's getting the academic price from someone at Stanford like any of us can online. But he doesn't even know that. His people at Standford told him the 3GHz Mac Pro was the way to go and I'll be it's not even a refurb. :eek: :mad:

One more thing: This is a video guy who knew nothing about that the NAB Press Conference is coming up April 15. :rolleyes:

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I can see the next Apple event being huge. I can see Apple blowing everyone away with all new machines.

11. cre8design macrumors newbie

cre8design

At want point is a Quad 3.0 not enogh? I know there's talk about an 8-core, who and what program will actually take full advantage of that processing power?

I know it's always nice to have the latest and greatest, but I say just upgrade your system every 2-4 years, buy what you need and stop waiting for whats around the corner, becuase that wait is a lot longer than you think.

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

3D Apps, Toast 8, Final Cut Pro 6 Will Use All 8 Cores In The Dual Clovertown Mac Pro

3D applications, Toast 8. Final Cut Pro 6 will all use 8 cores at once. If you crush video you will find 4 cores is not enough and the computer will choke a lot of the time. You obviously are not doing video compression at all. So for you that's fine. But for those of us who are rendering 3D, Video and transcoding video, 8 cores won't even be ehough.

I am still on the Quad G5 because the Dual Woodcrest (Quad Mac Pro) is only marginally faster than this. I can tell you for certain 4 cores aren't even close to being enough for the above kind of work and that the Dual Clovertown (Oct Mac Pro) will only be an improvement - not as much power as we really need.

Moreover, any kind of Multi-Threaded Workflow will benefit from an 8 core Mac Pro. The need to run many different processes simultaneously on one workstation is increasingly becoming a mainstream way of getting more work done at once. Features in Leopard will help spur this new way to get more work done faster sooner.

13. cre8design macrumors newbie

cre8design

MultiMedia - Thanks for the input, it gave me a better understanding.

Your right i don't do video, i'm a graphic designer, AND from the generation that used to do Graphics the traditional mechanical way with wax machine and rubylith (I'm not old, just started on the cusp of computers, or I'm in denial od being old,)

So the fact we hit the Quad 3.0 processing speed still impresses me. So giv me year and I;ll be saying the samething about 8-cores =)

14. hal0n macrumors regular

No way. Think of the infrastructure problems that would arise from excessive demand. Then consider that they would be setting people up for long waits and disappointment. That is something that they can't afford to do.

I say that they split the release of new machines. I wouldn't be suprised to see a much bigger differentiation between the pro and consumer laptops with the Pro machines getting new tech and the consumer model lagging behind half a cycle at least.

The 8 core Mac Pro's aren't a significant leap. I have had my 4 core since it came out and I have never swamped the processors. This was while doing media conversion professionally. Unless you are really hardcore I don't think anyone will notice much benefit from more cores... especially if it is at the expense of clock speed.