Conversation w/ Wife (apple furniture)

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by joetronic, Jan 4, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    My wife and I were talking last night about how sweet would it be if Apple and Ikea got together and made furiture, or even aparments like Ikea did in Sweden a few years back. Could you imagin what some of that stuff would look like. And have apple products intergraded into the furiture. Just though I toss it out there.

I would love to have a desk covered with the same plastic the iBook or the iPod is made of.
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    You must not have kids. You think your furniture scratches easily now? Wait 'til it's made like an iPod... :D

The other problem I see is that Apple and Ikea are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum - Ikea is mostly inexpensive "assemble it yourself" stuff. Apple is mostly expensive "comes with everything" stuff.
  3. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    Actully no I don't have kids, and there is no possability of ever having them. I know what you mean by the scratches though. But a little care and common sense and that should not really be a problem (and yes my iPod is scratched to all hell, but my iBook has stayed scratch free after following some very-little time-consuming measures.)

I mean the design of Ikea, not the price (i wish Apple products were as cheap as that.) I like the modern look of alot of Ikea's stuff, and I think it goes well with the sleek designs of Apple products. I have an Ikea desk now and the iMac or the iBook just look amazing on it, and I think if the desktop was a crystal white like the iBook or the iMac it would just look that much more modern and sleek.
  4. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    We have a huge IKEA store here in Richmond, but most of the stuff is not my taste. I wouldn't want my furniture to look pretty but be unfunctional.
  5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    You tend to get a lot of very expensive kitchens in a gloss white plastic sort of colour at the moment. I guess it's just the current fad but I like it, However I'm not sure how much a similar piece of furniture would run to, some of these kitchens are about £30,000 (~$60k)!
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
  7. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA

Only in my kitchen, lol
  8. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    If apple made kitchens... what about a U2 special edition, black&red with dishes with bono and edges faces on.... You will also get a certificate which gives you $50 off a microwave which contains Airport w/Airtunes and play a random US tune when used.
  9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    I see where you're going, a very minimalist clean look, and the "digital lifestyle" actually integrated into the physical lifestyle.
    Kinda like the Apple stores!

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i'd love to see a coffee table, or maybe a computer desk in the finish like an apple mouse, white with a clear layer floating over it. i think it'd look really good and plastic could be used instead of glass which would make it cheaper.
  11. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    applematt, you said it perfect " minimalist". I just could find the word earlier.

you make a good point homerjward. Plastic would be a better idea. Make the stuff lighter too. My wifes glass top desk is freakin heavy.
  12. el greenerino macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Yes, Apple made furniture would be interesting, but only if they had complete control over it. If they teamed with Ikea or Pottery Barn then it wouldn't have the pure and independent flair that we expect from Apple.

My favorite pairing of macs and furniture is that of macs and antique victorian furniture. It makes an intersting contrast between the minimalist and ornate. I saw something like that on the setups page at Spymac awhile ago.

But I'm no designer and have a desk from Target, so what do I know?

On a side note, wouldn't it be great if Apple designed a cell phone?
  13. Lau Guest

What about Habitat? They've done collaborations with designers recently (the VIP range) and are a bit closer to Apple's mentality (i.e. pretty good quality, expensive(ish) and good innovative design).
  14. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    It would like Italian furniture:
    - Cappellini
    - B&B Italia
    - Minotti

Cappellini is my favorite:
  15. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    I've got some of this and I find it pretty slick. It suits my needs and my style. Also, I own a feisty and fully clawed cat who sleeps on the coffee table during the warm months and after two years there are no scratches. I own the "Bellaire" credenza in gray which I use as a bar, a "Malibu" coffee table in gray, and also a "Malibu" desk and locker in dark blue.