Convert asf

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by blckout20, Jun 5, 2006.

1. blckout20 macrumors member

I think I already know the answer but I'm desperately hoping someone knows a way to convert .asf files into some type of file that I will be able to use on my Mac without having to transfer all the video clips to a PC, converting them on a PC, transfering them back, and then editing them in Imovie.

I assume this is the only way but if there is a way I could do this without a PC I would be forever grateful.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Check out Flip4Mac. Its not free, but it should do the job for you.

3. blckout20 thread starter macrumors member

I have a mac book pro and last I knew Flip4mac wasn't compatible with intel macs yet. I may be wrong but last I knew that was how it was.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You may be able to get Flip4Mac to run you your machine. You can try the instructions here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2167527#post2167527

There is also a program called PopWire that is $50 and allows export, and is already Intel-native. EDIT: It appears to have a free trial available , so you can see if it'll do what you need it to, but you're limited to short clips.

5. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

im having the same problem. i think VLC does the job jsut right. havent tried it yet, but i'll be back with results.

6. LaughaC macrumors newbie

Flip for Mac works on my Intel Macbook

However, now I need to edit my ASF files that are too long for YouTube.com.

Does anybody know of some freeware that I can use to simply chop up the files into smaller clips?

7. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I completely forgot that I promised some results, sorry!

Try Flip4Mac (which is free, btw) so that you can open the file on Quicktime and then Export the videos from there. If Flip4Mac doesn't help, then try converting the files with VisualHub.
    And, LaughaC, the software you're looking for is called iMovie :)
    Just open the files in iMovie after converting them.

Hope this helps.