Convert dmg file to iso

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Oct 21, 2006.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

I found a site here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040121135301830

It tells you how you can convert from dmg to iso. I thought I did it correctly.

My mac HD is called Macintosh HD and I tried typing this

hdiutil convert /Macintosh HD/cd.dmg -format UDTO -o /Macintosh HD/cd.iso

Then it gives me the error that only a single input file can be specified so I'm thinking there is something wrong with my syntax since I'm only trying to specify one file.

2. relimw macrumors 6502a

You need to escape the spaces in your disk's name. ie:

hdiutil convert /Macintosh\ HD/cd.dmg -format UDTO -o /Macintosh\ HD/cd.iso

3. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I tried what you said but I might have typed it wrong, so I decided to just rename my HD. I renamed it to MacHD

Then I tried typing hdiutil convert /MacHD/cd.dmg -format UDTO -o /MacHD/cd.iso and now it gives me the error no such file or directory.

Do I need to change what I typed?

4. relimw macrumors 6502a

Just to verify, you have a file 'cd.dmg' at the root level of your hard drive?
    Ah, your path is wrong. Just use /cd.dmg drop the /MacHD my bad, sorry.

5. relimw macrumors 6502a

If you do an 'ls /MacHD/cd.dmg' you won't get anything, as / is the root of your drive. If you need to fully qualify your drive, you would have to do '/Volumes/MacHD/cd.dmg'. Sorry about that, don't know what I was thinking :D

6. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

I have read that you can use disk utility to convert it. You are supposed to select disk master as the type. When I do that it starts converting it to a .cda can I just rename that when I get it on windows to iso? Or will that work?

Also I just tried convert one more time and now it's actually working thanks.

Also, I noticed that it automatically put a .cda extention onto the iso I named it to so hopefully that works.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, in most cases a .cdr is identical to an .iso so you can just rename it.

8. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't a cdr is was a cda, but yeah I renamed it to .iso and it worked perfectly. Thank you relimw and Nermal.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

.cda? I assumed that was a typo, I've never seen it convert to .cda before :confused: Was it an image of a data or music CD?

10. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, you are right I must be delerious :).

For some reason I thought it was a cda but no, it's a cdr.