Convert email address from .me to .mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Marquito, Jul 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2008
    Do new MobileMe users get the choice of their username to be a .mac address? Has anyone got any news on this.

I know existing .mac users (I have another .mac address) get to choose.
    However, I just registered a new username (trial account) with MobileMe and it seems that I'm stuck with a .me address.

I want to use the new username but I really dislike the whole MobileMe schtick and was hoping to avoid it. Is the .mac address only available to legacy users.

Incidentally, the username I just registered was never available to me under the old .mac system but it was available when the service switched to MobileMe. They're obviously freeing up old unused usernames. I mention this in case it helps anyone else get the name they thought had already been taken.

However, for me, it's a bummer if I can only use it as .me.

Why wouldn't they give you the choice?
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 5, 2004
    According to the info published on the MobileMe website, you can't.
  3. macrumors 65816

May 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Try sending an email to <your address> and see if it works. If not, you're stuck.
  4. macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2008

As a new user you are stuck with .me since it is the new server. I guess the old .mac adresses are still valid for existing .Mac subscribers because it would mean to much trouble to force everyone to use a new email adress.
  5. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    I guess I'm glad I got .Mac right before they announced MobileMe officially.