Convert FRAPS clips for iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by :DRS:Church, Aug 29, 2006.

1. :DRS:Church macrumors newbie

ok how about this,,, I have making/recording movies with FRAPS while playing BF2 on my PC. I have all the footage I need now comes time to edit it. So I transfer a couple clip to my mac and all i get is audio. The clips show up as AVI files. I dont need the audio as I will be using music for the background. So I guess I need an app that will convert these clips to something iMovie can use, any ideas? Ohh yeah it needs to be free.

Thanks Church

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What codec does FRAPS encode with? odds are you can just download a codec for quicktime and it'll work. If it's a Windows Media format you'll have to pay to use it in iMovie unfortunately. Most other codecs are free though.

3. :DRS:Church thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its some kind of propritary codec. I just spent 2 hours with movie maker,,,I could just shoot myself in the face,,,

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's probably DivX.
    EDIT:
    This is on FRAPS' FAQ.

5. :DRS:Church thread starter macrumors newbie

ok here is an easy fix, I just exported the clip to my DV camera and then reimported them into iMovie. Then I had more options for vid format. YouTube dont like WMV files. Anyway heres the movie if ya wanna see it. Its very average to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzH0c05E-zc

6. Ultimatelox macrumors newbie

Ultimatelox

The best conversion program I've come across is ffmpegx it recognizes almost any video file and can export as damn near any format you can get it at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/