Convert higher bit-rate songs feature updated!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sol, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Sol, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

The latest iTunes has a feature that is sure to please those of us who care about the audio quality of our music libraries. On the Summary tab of iTunes that we see when an iPod is connected to the computer, we have had the option to convert higher bit-rate songs to 128 kbps files without altering the high quality originals on the computer. As of the last iOS and/or iTunes update, we now get to choose between 128, 192 and 256 kbps! It might seem like a little thing but I for one appreciate the option to maximise the quality of my portable music library.

A word of warning to anyone who uses this option; the initial transcoding/sync can take days depending on the number of tracks and speed of the computer but after that, each sync is the same as before.

If you have great headphones and love music then you owe it to yourself to use this upgraded feature.

2. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Excellent tip. Most my music now is iTunes Match, and a small percentage lossless encoded, which obviously takes an awful lot of space on the iPod. So converting the lossless songs to 256 KBit is very helpful and doesn't take too long.

Because of the long time it takes in some cases (like using 128 KBit on a 160 GB iPod), it would be great if iTunes could do this bit by bit - sync with the full size, then start converting and adding more music, and letting you unplug the iPod at any time.

3. macrumors regular

I wasn't a fan of this feature at 128 kbps, but I'm willing to use it at 192 kbps. It's going to free up around 10 gigs of space on my iPod while still maintaining good quality compared to my 256-320 kbps music, which is nice.

4. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

18 hours and counting. I didn't realise how addicted I was to my iPhone until now!

5. macrumors 65816

And how many songs are we talking about...?

6. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Great find Sol! Thanks for sharing. Been hoping for the 256 option for a long time.

7. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

6096, of which around 4000 are ALAC, the rest a mix of 256 and 320 AAC and mp3. 175gb on my mini, 36.6gb on my iPhone. I got bored when it said it was waiting for the artwork to sync, and I had to go out, so I yanked the cable. All seems well, my music is all there, and so is most of the artwork.

8. macrumors 65816

I've just done 2034 songs around 3.5 hours, 90% 320kbps AAC, the rest 320kbps MP3s...

9. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Only took them a few years.

For whatever reason, the original iPod shuffle is excluded from this feature update by the way.

10. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

Does not sync album artwork...

I have been a fan of this feature for a while (with 150+ Gigs of music on my MacBook and only a 16 Gig iPad, it lets me put a lot more music on my iPad).

However, since the iOS 5.1 update and the iTunes 10.6 update, using the feature causes any albums sync that are converted to not have album artwork on my iPad. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?

11. Sol
    thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

That is a bit ironic considering that the feature was introduced with the original Shuffle. I may be wrong about that but from memory, it was a feature introduced to fit more music in the Shuffle's small capacity.

----------

Some albums in my library lost their album art too but they were very few. No way to tell what is causing this. It may be that the original album artwork was too big or that iTunes automatically uses whatever it finds or not online using the tag information.

12. macrumors 65816

iTunes 10.6 New Feature!!!!!!!

Ok, so you know the "Convert to 128kb AAC" option? yeah, well now it's a drop down list and it includes 256kb AAC!!!!! OMG I'M SOOOO EXCITED!!!

13. macrumors 65816

Here, see for yourself.

Incase you're wondering, that list also includes 128kb, and 192kb, in addition to the forementioned 256kb.

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I was quite excited when I saw that too. I didn't want to have it convert everything down to crappy 128 (including my already compressed AAC files I would assume), so this is nice. I now have space for photos and videos on my devices.

15. macrumors 65816

IKR? Now my music library will go from ~50GB Lossless to 13.5GB 256 AAC. ^_^

16. macrumors 65816

Have not notice any problems with album artwork, but cover flow on iPod does exhibit some bugs... some display both artist and album name, some just the album name without the artist, so some of the artworks are in disarray...

17. macrumors 6502

i dont see what the big deal is? Shouldn't it all already be 256 AAC with iTunes Match?

18. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Not everyone buys music from iTunes! ;)

19. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Can I select my whole iTunes library and convert it?

20. macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

My new feature is it keeps crashing when trying to add music.

21. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It converts on-the-fly when copying to your iOS device.

Or do you want to permanently convert your entire library?

22. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yeah, I was thinking about converting the whole library on my iMac?

23. macrumors 6502

Ive never bought music from itunes, nor do i buy from iTunes now, all i do is obtain the music elsewhere, then add to itunes and let iTunes Match do its thing. instant top quality music.

24. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

That is odd. There is definitely a software bug at work. I use the "convert from higher bit rate" for both my iPad and my nano. On the iPad, it causes converted songs to lose their artwork every single time. On the nano, I have no artwork problems whatsoever. Hopefully, either iTunes or iOS whichever is causing the problem will be updated soon.

25. macrumors 6502a

hollerz

OK, then not everyone uses iTunes Match, or thinks 256kbps is "top quality" :)

For that, just make sure you have the desired bit rates etc. in "Import Settings", and select all your music, right click, "Create AAC version".