Convert m4p files?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Jul 23, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

I.m trying to include a song i downloaded from the iTMS on a video i.m making in final cut express, BUT the audio in FCE has to be in aiff format, and when i try and convert the m4p file it tells me that a protected file cannot be converted to a different format?! anyone know how to do this...you would think both programs being made by apple should be able to do this somehow!

Christien.

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

well, that's what "protected" means... sorry. you can burn it to an audio CD and the resulting file will be in AIFF format, but with some loss in quality. depending on what you're using it for, it may still be good enough for your purposes. it's not a huge decrease in sound quality or anything.

3. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

m4p -> CD -> AIFF is LOSSLESS.

However, perhaps you're a playfair customer.. anyone know their latest web address?

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

That's right. There will only be loss of quality if you reimport from the CD into an unprotected AAC, MP3 or other lossy format.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Or if you don't want to ruin a CD, importing the AAC into iMovie and then Sharing it as Quicktime and Expert settings (choose Sound to AIFF) will work.

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

yep. my bad.

7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I created a thread about this a couple days ago. Here's how I solved it: Use iTunes to burn the song onto a CD. Then go into iTunes>Preferences>Importing and select AIFF encoder. Then re-import your song onto your computer through iTunes and that's it.

A few extra steps, but it gets the job done. :)

Good luck,
    JOD8FY