Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I have a couple movies that are in mov and I can't get some of the meta tags tagged such as movie rating using metax because "The rating, track number, and disk number tags are currently not supported for the .mov format" according to their FAQ.

Anyone have a easy way to convert these mov to mp4? The files have both stereo and 5.1 audio tracks and are between 4000-6000kbps Total bit rate in h.264

Either need to convert the files so I can get all the tags put in or if there is a way to get the movie rating in mov files. Its the only tag I need to change.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Well it looks like it would work. Had to change the extension of the mov file to mp4 first. There is no option for moving rating though. I want to add the rating (IE PG, PG-13, R) but that option isn't present in subler.

Any other meta tag editing programs to try?

downinitjr

macrumors member
May 17, 2007
Minnesota
Well it looks like it would work. Had to change the extension of the mov file to mp4 first. There is no option for moving rating though. I want to add the rating (IE PG, PG-13, R) but that option isn't present in subler.

Any other meta tag editing programs to try?

If your looking to do everything in osx, then you could do the following. Open the .mov in qucktime. Select export and export to mpeg-4. Under the video and audio tabs select pass-through. This will save the file as a .mp4 but will remove any ac3 track. Next open the new .mp4 with subler, and select import/file... Select the original .mov and select the ac3(5.1) track. Save the .mp4 in subler, then proceed to tag with meta-x.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I use MetaX and it works great. It even has a built-in poster art and IMDB browser.

Don't think you read my first post.....

If your looking to do everything in osx, then you could do the following. Open the .mov in qucktime. Select export and export to mpeg-4. Under the video and audio tabs select pass-through. This will save the file as a .mp4 but will remove any ac3 track. Next open the new .mp4 with subler, and select import/file... Select the original .mov and select the ac3(5.1) track. Save the .mp4 in subler, then proceed to tag with meta-x.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Okay so I tried that but when it imports the ac3 track it shows it has a 0 sec duration and if I save the file it just removes that track.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I have a couple movies that are in mov and I can't get some of the meta tags tagged such as movie rating using metax because "The rating, track number, and disk number tags are currently not supported for the .mov format" according to their FAQ.

Anyone have a easy way to convert these mov to mp4? The files have both stereo and 5.1 audio tracks and are between 4000-6000kbps Total bit rate in h.264

Either need to convert the files so I can get all the tags put in or if there is a way to get the movie rating in mov files. Its the only tag I need to change.

Is there any reason you want to convert your mov file to an mp4 and not an m4v file? I'm assuming your going to be using the files in iTunes or on a AppleTV.

I would just add the mov file to iTunes and then use the 'Create AppleTV Version' option in iTunes. This will convert the mov file to a m4v file that you can then tag in MetaX.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok forget it, seems that this thread is 3 months old, the OP has probably sorted this already. Mental note, must check the age of a thread before posting............ Not sure why ckybolt resurrected it.............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.