Convert MP4 to MPG?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slipper, Jan 27, 2006.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

How do you do it. I didnt see any possible way to do it in iMovie or Quicktime Pro

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I don't know about doing it within those programmes, but as an external programme ffmpegX should do the trick and then some.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

this is frustrating the hell out of me. ffmpegx doesnt seem to be doing it. anything else?

4. CharlesRobinson macrumors newbie

CharlesRobinson

Strictly speaking, mp4 is a form of mpeg.
    Didn't Toast come with an mpg generator a while ago for VCDs?

Anyway, ffmpeg really is the way to go here, you just have to get your mind wrapped around the complicated (read: crappy) GUI that has been implemented. After that, it's just a matter of babying the software.
    Major4 is a cool guy, and one of his coolnesses was to document (heavily) how to use this software. Go here and explore: http://homepage.mac.com/major4/howtos.html
    In order for this software to work, you have to have some stuff installed...I don't know the details about this but when you first run it there's a component installer helper.

On a side note, why on earth would you prefer mpeg-1 or -2 to mpeg-4? The compression and quality are a great improvement over its predecessors...

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

My Palm Treo cant play MP4 with an AAC audio track.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Can you not just open it in QT 7 and export it to .mpg?

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

8. superwoman macrumors regular

ffmpegx works for me. I convert from mpeg4 to mpeg2 using ffmpegx.
    I believe MPEG Streamclip can do it too.

9. ResMed macrumors newbie

Hello
    Well I found your forums seeking out info on the same thing, MP4 to MPEG and followed all instructions over at ffmpegx and just in case someone needs this answer later on here's how to do it.

Go to ffmpegx.com

You'll see text at the top of that page instructing you to download mencoder and mplayer binaries; these are both engines. Next when you click on the mpeg2enc binary which is also needed as per the instructions, you'll have a massive page of binary code before you; copy this and save it as a text document and simply call it mpeg2.

Make sure to also download the newest client of ffmpegx and just unpack it like any other Mac program, open it, then you'll see three sections in red, one for the mencoder, mplayer binaries and mpeg2enc binary, find them on your Mac and assert them to the proper path and that's it.

They did try offering me a program called Rosetta, so I denied it and ffpegx was all set to go.

I hope this helps.

10. JustanotherJack macrumors newbie

Alternatively handbrake has the answers to all of your video-related problems.

http://handbrake.fr/