Convert old Illustrator file to CS6

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by carlsson, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

carlsson

I have some older Illustrator files (and maybe some FreeHand files as well) that I'd like to open with CS6.

Is there a converter application that can do this for me?

Or must I install the older versions?

2. macrumors demi-god

firedept

You will definitely not be able to open the Freehand files. They removed this feature in CS6. I know it worked in CS5. I have ai files that go back to CS2 and have no problem opening with CS6. Hope this helps some.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

carlsson

Thanks for the answer. However, I'm not able to open older (ie <CS4) Illustrator files with CS6. I have read about others that have this problem as well, and my impression was that this was intentional from Adobe?

Hmm, I think I have to install OS X10.4 together with FreeHand MX and CS4 on an older Mac.... *sigh*

4. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Unfortunately. At least you still have a solution, where as some peolple don't. CS6 has been a bit of a problem for a lot of people. I have my own issues with it. For the most part still okay. But I still have CS4, 5 & 5.5 around to help me with the odd problem.

5. macrumors 6502a

I still have illustrator 8 running, and frankly that was as good as illustrator ever got.