convert svcd image to mpeg or avi

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brutus, Nov 13, 2003.

1. brutus macrumors member

does anyone know a tool to convert or mount cd images (svcd) on a mac in order to use them as avi or mpeg files. I used to have one but forgot the name...

ffmpegx is not running or i'm too stupid to use it!

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

SVCD is a compressed vidoe format of better standard than VCD(MPEG1,) AVI's can't be played on DVD players. Why do you want to convert?

3. brutus thread starter macrumors member

because it is just a cd image, note the ordinary files. thus i need a tool to mount the image. i tried this with toast but it didnt work. but there is a tool that mounts svcd images to view them on the mac. but i forgot the name...

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What format is the image? ie. what's it's extension?

5. brutus thread starter macrumors member

they are ordinary wintel nero & co images consisting of two files each ending with bin and cue. normally toast has a function to mount images but i get an error message with these images.

The tool i used to have was called gump or gnum or something similar...

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

7. brutus thread starter macrumors member

confused?!?

what do you mean?! confused?! sorry, not my intention!

i will try to explain once again: an ordinary cd image under windows consists of two parts, a bin and cue file! in need a tool with can mount those images on a mac with osx panther.

my cd images consist of these files: bin aud cue. the content of these files is an svcd, means if you would burn the cd it would be a svcd containing a movie! Thus it is a svcd image.

There are tools for mac osx which can mount and transform those images. The result is, that you can watch them with mplayer or quicktime without having to burn the cd.

The other way would be to burn them on a windows pc but thats a bit expensive!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I would like to mention that an SVCD image traditionally uses the .cif extension. If you've got a .bin and a .cue, then it's really an "image that happens to contain an SVCD" rather than an "SVCD image". I'm not trying to say you're wrong or stupid or anything, just letting you know :)

Anyway, you should try VCDGear. It can read from cue/bin and .cif files and output the MPEG files that are contained within. It's a console app, so if you need help with it, just post back here.

Good luck!

9. brutus thread starter macrumors member

exactly what i was looking for! i will try it!

i have several images here and they are all bin/cue type. dont know why but they are...

Thanks a lot and best regards!

10. brutus thread starter macrumors member

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted out. I only recommended VCDGear because I used the GUI version quite a lot, back when I had Windows. Unfortunately there's currently no GUI for the Mac version, as you would have noticed, but the app is still useful if you know what you're doing :)

12. brutus thread starter macrumors member

For sure it is but i tried it and i definetly didn't know what i was doing:)

Thanks for your help and best regards!
    Daniel