Convert Video to DV out?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by netdog, Sep 13, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Hi,

iMovie seems to want DV in, so what is the best solution to get a standard VHS or DVD converted to a DV signal? Software conversion seems to take forever. I have a Canon 960, but I'd prefer something attached semi-permanently to my iMac.

Also, will FCP be happy with a DV stream?

2. dwishbone macrumors regular

there are lots of options. eyeTV from elgato is good. there are others as well.
    personally i have a sony dv camera with firewire passthrough.
    what i do is hook up a DVD/VHS player to my camcorders AV/IN and have it pass through the firewire into iMovie/FCP.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

DV streams have pretty much become the standard for camcorder-based video editing, so yes, FCP is perfectly happy with it.

To add to the confusion, there are different types of DV streams (type 1 and type 2), and while iMovie prefers one, FCP seems to prefer the other. So there's a bit of converting/rendering involved when you capture with one program and use in another. But, it's not that bad.

As for converting old footage from VHS or other sources, you have a few options:

1. Keep using your Canon camcorder (assuming it has pass-through ability, meaning you feed the VCR signal into your camera's AV-in port, and out it comes simultaneously through the DV-out port). If your camcorder didn't have this pass-through feature, then you could buy a camcorder that does...

2. Buy a dedicated DV deck, which would essentially be doing the same thing as option 1. Decks are expensive, and you might even be better off just buying a second camcorder for the exclusive use of logging/capturing/converting your footage (DV or otherwise), to save wear on your other camera.

3. Buy a standalone AV-to-DV conversion box, like the ADS Technologies' A/V Link box. These have standard A/V inputs on one side, and a Firewire out on the other side.

edit: dwishbone, does the eyeTV box record (or transcode) natively to DV, or is there a conversion process that has to happen after the video is captured? Being a USB box I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong. I couldn't see anything about capturing to DV on the elgato website.

4. dwishbone macrumors regular

honestly im not sure. i just know a few people that have one and they all have had good results with it.
    i just looked at the site and it says it records things to MPEG4 which wouldnt get THAT much loss converting back to DV.
    i cant find anything on what it records natively at. also, the device might be possible to accessed directly out of iMovie/FCP and record to DV...but again im not sure since i dont have one. i use the firewire passthrough method as i stated above and that works excellent for me.