Converting 4:3 to 16:9

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by P-Worm, Sep 13, 2006.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have a quicktime video clip with the black letterbox bars on it for 4:3 televisions. I want to put the video on the internet in 16:9 format so that the bars are gone. Obviously I will have to crop the video.

I have FCStudio so I can use FCP, Compressor or QT Pro to do this. What would be best?

P-Worm

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Change your FCP video settings to the desired resolution, in this case the demension of the 4:3 source material, minus the black bars. You will probably have to create a new setting. Once you apply the new setting will have to create a new project, the new project will use your new settings, as will all projects until you switch it back to your desired settings.

Then, import the footage and place onto the canvas. If your calculations are correct all that will show is the video material, with the black bars being cut off since they are out of the range of the canvas.

Then just export the video through compressor, or through quicktime.

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If you have QT Pro, IMHO the easiest way would be to simply go to options, set the image size to custom, enter the desired picture size (width x height), then set "preserve aspect ratio" to "crop".

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Go to options where?

5. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Thanks for you help guys. I ended up using compressor to do it. It has some crop bars you can grap that exports what's in the box. But knowing multiple solutions to the same problem is great.

P-Worm