Converting 8 MM tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rock15478, Feb 8, 2007.

1. rock15478 macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi guys, I've done a lot of research on the best method to convert old 8 MM tapes to DVD. I don't have a working 8 MM camcorder anymore, but have lots of old tapes with family footage. Apparantly some Digital8 Camcorders can play back old 8 MM tapes, and then can be transferred digitally to my computer via firewire cable to iMovie or Final Cut Pro. This is what I would prefer to do. However, has anyone done this with a specific camera? I've read that not all Digital8 Cameras play back old 8 MM tapes. Some people say you can't even do it this way. Please offer your advice. I would like to do this myself so that I can edit my video. Thanks in advance. -John
  2. xov macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2004
    I've done that many times -- works like a charm. Connect Firewire from camera to Mac, import old 8mm tapes into iMovie. You can also connect a VCR to the camera and import old VHS tapes.

I have a Sony DCR-TRV310 (several years old). I think any Digital8 with Firewire will work.
  3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2007
    Covington, WA, USA
    I've done it for years, too. It's a big reason why, when I moved to a digital camcorder, I got one that would play my video 8 tapes.
  4. geppsdood macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2010