Converting a long term PC user for a media center!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by advocation, Feb 13, 2007.

1. advocation macrumors member

Oct 18, 2006
    Yeovil, UK
    I'm moving in to a flat with a couple of mates in teh summer.. one of them is a computer novice, and the other one is an IT technician for PC's.
    Talking to the IT technician, he wants to set up a media center, but using a media center PC.. I however want to use a mac mini, and Front Row.

His main argument is that the Mac Mini and Front Row do not support TV where as Media Center does..

Are there any points that I should put accross to him?!
  2. amiga macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2006
    With Elgatos EyeTV a mini can do TV and can be controled from the apple remote though it doesn't fully intergrate with front row... but its what I do, my 17" Imac G5 is my tv, my DVD player, my music centre and I output with optical out to a DTS amp for movies :) works very well for me! :)

Check out see if that helps.
  3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    how about this point.

if you're pluging the media center/mini into a tv... ...WHAT THE FRACK DOSE THE MEDIA CENTER NEED TV FOR, JUST WATCH THE DARN TV.

if you want to record TV you can pick up a dual format DVD-Recorder (set top) for £59 in the UK and our stuff is usually more expensive than anywhere else, or a VCR cant be too expensive these days
  4. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    i would also go a bit further to ask: how is this being paid for? are you using someone's existing equipment or putting money together to buy something new?

If it's the latter, I would say the one supporting the 'winning' equipment pay more b/c they'll probably keep it should someone move out?

from what i hear, as bad as pcs are, the media center is great. having to buy the elagto might be an extra cost not necessary.

good luck,