Converting AAC to MP3

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gavzilla2003, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Gavzilla2003 macrumors newbie

I have a 15GB iPod for windows and I am trying to convert AAC files (which are on my iPod) to MP3 files so I can transfer them on to my computer. Is there a way to do this with windows.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Are these iTunes Music Store AACs (protected) or ones you did? If they're protected you have to burn them to an audio CD and then rip them as mp3. I don't know of any other way. If they're AACs you encoded, then whatever you used (Quicktime I would assume) should be able to convert them. iTunes will do it, but you said you wanted to use Windows so I'm not sure.

Hmm...now I re-read your post and wonder. Why do you have to convert them to get them off the iPod? There are utilities that will transfer them (at least a dozen for Mac, must be some Windows as well). Or did I misunderstand something?

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Shareware: Quicktime Pro 6.3

The best of luck searching for any other quality shareware or even freeware AAC converters. They aren't easy to find.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Another thing about converting AAC to mp3--you're tinkering with a file that's already compressed and you'll lose some sound quality. I got excited about AAC and ripped a few hundred of my CDs. Then I discovered that Tivo won't play AAC (I stream my mp3s from my Mac to the Tivo, which is connected to the home theater). So rather than re-rip all my CDs I converted them to mp3 in iTunes. They sounded pretty crappy. I might just have good ears--I can tell the difference between CD and vinyl--but that was an unacceptable loss of quality. I ended up re-ripping everything.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some people notice these sorts of things. I used to download MP3s from Napster (remember Napster? :p) and make standard audio CDs from them. I could then rip the CD into MP3, and I couldn't tell the difference.

The other day I was listening to some 192k MP3s and they sounded fine. Then I listened to a proper CD, then back to the MP3s and they suddenly sounded terrible! I guess the "purer" sound of the CD made the MP3s sound worse or something.