Converting an entire office to Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Jun 9, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

The church/school I work for has been PC dependant ever since they first started using computers (10 years ago or so). However, we are CONSTANTLY having problems with them and half the people here don’t use the computers for more than general word processing, e-mail, or web-surfing.

I think the Macs simple design and easiness of use makes it ideal for those who are computer illiterate (which is a lot around here). Obviously an eMac or iMac would be needed for those who do more in-depth stuff.

How hard would it be to convert the current office computers (about 10-15) over to Mac over the next 2-3 years? (Over a greater time frame the school would switch over as well) No one ever maintains the computers around here, so they gradually just run down into the ground. It's not my job to work with the computers, I just happen to be the default person around here since i know the most. From what I hear, Macs are very self sufficient. No need to "maintain" them, they just run. That is my thinking behind it. Plus, Macs are a little more user friendly and they have a lot of built in functionality that WinXP only dreams about having. We currently spend $700-800 per computer the way it is, for that we can get an eMac or a mac Mini.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For your purposes, I'd recommend the eMac over the mini - all-in-one units are good for public use.

It isn't quite true that Macs need no maintenance, but it is generally much easier to maintain them (Software Update relatively often) compared to Windows, and "safer" if you don't maintain them constantly.

3. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

We have such a problem with Spyware and occasional viruses. It's insane. That's what started me thinking we should switch over.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No spyware, no viruses on Macs, and even though that will eventually change, it'll never be as bad as it is on Windows now.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just buy one Mac. Give it to someone who's relatively adventurous techwise, to sort through the initial hassles of getting on the network, printing, file compatibility, etc.

Then once you see the type of problems you're up against, you can begin replacing computers one by one as upgrades are needed.

6. hottyson macrumors newbie

Norton Ghost for PC

Keep the PC's that you have as they are powerful enough for such things. Get one mac for now and add more as needed.

For the old PC's, use Norton Ghost to take a digital copy of each HD on CDR's or one DVD-R, and keep it attached to the side of each computer. Whenever it starts acting up just reset it with Ghost to a perfect state of a fresh install. It only takes about twenty minutes for Norton Ghost to return my computer back to normal.
    :)

7. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

That was the idea. I wouldnt be replacing them all at once. Hence the extended transfer time.