converting an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by achingly hip, Oct 6, 2006.

1. achingly hip macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2006
    i've got an iMac sitting doing nothing. What do I need to do to convert it to my main music computer using Garageband 3 to compose and hold a 10,000+ iTunes library? I only intend to use it for that but I presume I need new OS, more memory, more hubs, separate CD burner etc.....can it be done? is it worth it? already got a mac mini but that's the family machine.
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Its not very clear what your trying to do. What do you need Garageband for?
  3. Sobering macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    There is your answer (person above me).
  4. arkitect macrumors 601

Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    A few more details perhaps?
    What generation iMac, HDD size etc?
  5. achingly hip thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2006
    well mainly because i've just started doing music on computer and garageband is what i'm used to. what generation iMac? I don't know. A purple one. HDD? Wassat. Where it says on the login description newbie, that's me. Sorry if i come across as knowing nothing, but i'm trying to learn. Hobby music, trying to get off the family machine. I'm 59 you know.
  6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level

HDD is the hard drive size.....the thingy where all the data or songs are stored

you would have to get an external cuz that gen of imac is an older one and wouldnt have a big enough drive to stor 10000. I have close to 9000 tracks and it takes up around 34 gigs fyi but its all dependant on the encoding rate as well.
  7. trenttati macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2006
    Your imac is pretty old (big, round and purple?) and won't run garageband very well. The other posters here are right on the HDD being too small (hard disc drive - an internal component used to store data). You can probably manage to get what you want running, but it won't be a pleasurable experience in my opinion.

Turn that thing into a fish tank!
  8. achingly hip thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2006
    oh well it was an idea.....anyone got any thoughts on what to do with it and who might benefit, schools maybe....hate to throw a working machine out
  9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

I could use it as my movie/music server!
  10. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006
    old imac

I run OS X on an old Bondi Blue iMac (I think 266) I added ram so its now 192meg replaced the drive with an old 40 gig I had around (has to be partitioned so the first partition is under 10 gig for some reason on this old machine) I run a 250 gig external USB hard drive for all my music... so, it will work for ya, its not fast by any means, but it works... read articles on my site about NTFS and maybe my Tivo article it will give you some of the things I ran into doing this..