Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi,

I've got a bunch of hi-res avi files that i wish to open in {{{ something }}} and then reburn to DVD so I can watch in comfort of my loungeroom, not cramped in the office on computer. Any ideas on a shareware software that might do this? Does iMovie?

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
^

Someone here once suggested V-Hub to me for that. It's supposed to convert any video format to any video format. You can download a demo version that will let you convert files up to a minute or so long, just to see how it works. If you like it, it's only like $25 or so to buy the full version. I haven't been able to convert all formats, but it's worked for some.

If you have iMovie or Final Cut Pro, you can use V-Hub to convert files to DV clips, then put them together in your editing program, and from there, go to DVD. I don't have the link, but you can just search "V-Hub" or "Visual Hub".

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
VisualHub does a very good job of this. Toast Titanium can also do it. I'm pretty sure ffmpegX can do it also. Of the 3 my first choice is VisualHub.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
risc said:
VisualHub does a very good job of this. Toast Titanium can also do it. I'm pretty sure ffmpegX can do it also. Of the 3 my first choice is VisualHub.

In my experience, ffmpegX, while it can perform this conversion, doesn't do it all that well; the resulting playback is choppy. I've had no problems doing the same conversion on the same AVI files with the same options selected using Avi2Dvd (a freeware Windows program). Unfortunately ffmpegX appears to be the only *free* utility for this available for OS X..

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Being graphic designers we have access to Toast Titanium.... so I'll give that a go when I get the time! :eek: I just didn't know Toast did that. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.