Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Will we ever see an ugraded Handbrake that will convert Blu-ray dvd's?

Because I would love to do this in the future. My next major project after converting standard dvd's.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I would think that it would be able to encode encrypted sources too, when they do make it compatible (which would mean after Apple starts giving the option to get Blu-Ray drives). They are breaking normal dvd encryption, and since AnyDVD is breaking HD sources in windows, they should be able to implement some sort of decryption too.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Will we ever see an ugraded Handbrake that will convert Blu-ray dvd's?

Because I would love to do this in the future. My next major project after converting standard dvd's.

You don't want to be converting Blu-ray movies; I do it occasionally and it's very tedious and very very time consuming. Ripping takes a bajillion years and then encoding takes ten times as long.

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
You don't want to be converting Blu-ray movies; I do it occasionally and it's very tedious and very very time consuming. Ripping takes a bajillion years and then encoding takes ten times as long.

At the moment I would agree that it is not really worth the effort unless you are a videophile. I would think that with the gradual improvement of bluray read times and processor speed that the process will eventually be a lot faster. As it currently stands it takes me about 24 hours to do a 15 Mbps encode with x264 at 1080p. That is on a virtual machine though.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I'm now buying all my mainstream movies on BR, so the ability to rip those is VERY important to me. I don't really care if it takes forever-- I've got two other computers in the house, so if one is "tied up" that's fine.

It wouldn't have to be tomorrow, but I hope HB does get an update to support BR.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
It will. but don't expect *any* decrypting, you will have to use anydvdHD or something like it first.

iedsri

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2003
Weatherford, Oklahoma
re: Converting Blu-ray in the Future?

I'm at exactly the same point as Alx9876, who started this thread a couple of months back. I've pretty much finished ripping over 2,000 of my DVDs, thanks to my trusty HandBrake. Now I want to continue the process for Blu-ray disks. And I have the same question, which hasn't really been answered yet, namely:

Will an upcoming version of HandBrake (or some equally straightforward Mac app) allow basic decrypting and ripping of Blu-ray disks?

Dynaflash says: "Don't expect *any* decrypting, you will have to use anydvdHD or something like it first."

But Mernak says: "I would think that it would be able to encode encrypted sources too, when they do make it compatible (which would mean after Apple starts giving the option to get Blu-Ray drives). They are breaking normal dvd encryption, and since AnyDVD is breaking HD sources in windows, they should be able to implement some sort of decryption too."

Doesn't Mernak's argument hold water?

Last time I checked it was still considered officially (shall we say) "inappropriate," to decrypt DVDs, yet HandBrake allows you to do just that.

So why wouldn't a future HandBrake make it just as easy to decrypt and rip Blu-ray disks?

As for rip time, obviously it's going to take much longer than an SD DVD, but that's to be expected -- and well worth it, imo. If only some Blu-ray-minded Mac-software designer would adopt the HandBrake philosophy: "simple, effective, free (or cheap) software for the rest of us!"

Thanks.

ied

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm now buying all my mainstream movies on BR, so the ability to rip those is VERY important to me. I don't really care if it takes forever-- I've got two other computers in the house, so if one is "tied up" that's fine.

It wouldn't have to be tomorrow, but I hope HB does get an update to support BR.

I'm right there with you. I just want them in the standard DVD video format (about 720x400 pixels) for use on a computer. I have all the Harry Potter movies only on Blu-ray, as well as the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie and National Treasure 2.

I just wish these movie studios would figure this dilemma out before we have a Napster-sized problem just like we did with music. We want digital copies, but we don't want their stupid "pay extra for it!" deal that Fox has begun. If people want to illegally distribute movies, they're gonna do it with or without something like iTunes importing the video.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Just to be clear and not get anyone's hopes up. The chances of HandBrake ever decrypting Blu-Ray is so small its not even worth measuring.

To put it bluntly: HandBrake will *not* be decrypting Blue-Ray Discs. You will need to decrypt them with something else first if you want to encode them with any future versions of HandBrake. It's just that simple.

MLC4SGR

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
I'm thrilled! That handbrake will be doing this.. my only question is when, roughly, can we expect to see this?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
my only question is when, roughly, can we expect to see this?

I wouldn't *expect* to see it any time soon. There is a ton of testing, etc. to be done before even a developer snapshot is released. Likely months away. Its tough to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.