Converting Casette to mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iKwak, Jan 20, 2004.

1. iKwak macrumors member

I have few casette tapes that I would like to transfer the audio to mp3 format. How would I be able to do this using my iBook?

I would like to keep the quality of the sound as good as possible, if possible. :)

2. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

speed is the key

Well, you'll have to do it in real time, which isn't quite as fun as ripping a CD.
    However you could encode the recording of audio data at the same time.
    I just downloaded this and haven't tried it yet. Audio Recorder, it is supposed to do AIFF and MP3 on the fly.

Presumably you have got the cables to connect cassete player to iBook sorted?

3. bont macrumors member

I prefer to record in the AIFF format before encoding to mp3, so that I can edit the files.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I use Bias Peak to record. They have a free trial. Your real challenge on an iBook is lack of a line-in. You'll need something like Griffin's iMic, which plugs into the USB port. I've had noise problems with the iMic though.

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've had good results with audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Although it is ugly, it does the job of recording quite well. I've even used the noise reduction filters to good effect on some old LP's I was converting a while ago.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I would like to do something like this as well. What kind of hardware would I be able to use? other than the iMic that is?

Thanks.

7. bcuzican macrumors newbie

problems

Have you ever had problems with the program stoping during the recording process
    :confused: