Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Hello all... I have been on these forums almost non-stop for the past week trying to find the best way to get myself ready for my new 5G iPod. When I got it on Friday I had found that all of the methods I have read did not work (either would play in QT but not in iTunes or iPod, etc etc). The method of ripping TV eps and Movies from DVD's using Handbrake (with MPEG codec, not H.264) have been well documented but I have not seen a failsafe way of converting TV episodes that have downloaded to an iPod/Quicktime/iTunes friendly format. I could very well be wrong, but I have not seen this method on these forums (please provide a link if I am wrong) but this is what has worked for me.

1) Using FFmpegX load the .avi file you are wishing to convert.
2) Under the 'Summary' tag and in the 'Target Format' section, change the 'To' box to '.MP4 MPEG-4' (This is what everyone has already been doing)
3) Under the 'Audio' tab select whatever bit rate you want, I use 128
3) Under the 'Options' tab select High Quality
4) Under the 'Video' tab set your Video Size and Auto-size to whatever works for you (remember, once again as everyone has said, the max is not 480x480 but rather is any combination who's total when multiplied is less than 230,000)
5) Still under the 'Video' tab, change the 'Video Codec' from 'MPEG [.MP4] (ffmpeg)' to 'XVid [.MP4] (ffmpeg)

That last step, changing the Video Codec, seems to be what makes it work. Hopefully people will be able to use this to get those TV episodes of which they do not own the DVD onto their new iPods. So far it has worked great for me!
Once again, if someone has already posted this I'm sorry. I wasn't able to find it, so hopefully this well help everyone out~

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
JonHimself said:
Hello all... I have been on these forums almost non-stop for the past week trying to find the best way to get myself ready for my new 5G iPod. When I got it on Friday I had found that all of the methods I have read did not work (either would play in QT but not in iTunes or iPod, etc etc). The method of ripping TV eps and Movies from DVD's using Handbrake (with MPEG codec, not H.264) have been well documented but I have not seen a failsafe way of converting TV episodes that have downloaded to an iPod/Quicktime/iTunes friendly format. I could very well be wrong, but I have not seen this method on these forums (please provide a link if I am wrong) but this is what has worked for me.

1) Using FFmpegX load the .avi file you are wishing to convert.
2) Under the 'Summary' tag and in the 'Target Format' section, change the 'To' box to '.MP4 MPEG-4' (This is what everyone has already been doing)
3) Under the 'Audio' tab select whatever bit rate you want, I use 128
3) Under the 'Options' tab select High Quality
4) Under the 'Video' tab set your Video Size and Auto-size to whatever works for you (remember, once again as everyone has said, the max is not 480x480 but rather is any combination who's total when multiplied is less than 230,000)
5) Still under the 'Video' tab, change the 'Video Codec' from 'MPEG [.MP4] (ffmpeg)' to 'XVid [.MP4] (ffmpeg)

That last step, changing the Video Codec, seems to be what makes it work. Hopefully people will be able to use this to get those TV episodes of which they do not own the DVD onto their new iPods. So far it has worked great for me!
Once again, if someone has already posted this I'm sorry. I wasn't able to find it, so hopefully this well help everyone out~

You may want to take a look at some of the other threads. You may be able to just "re-mux" the video and encode the audio in a few minutes and load it up on the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.