Converting from 320x240 DV -> standard DV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dolphin842, Mar 4, 2007.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

So the other day I was capturing some footage from the DV bridge using the HackTV dev example from Apple, and it ended up capturing to 320x240 instead of the standard 720x480. This file will play fine in the Final Cut Express viewer, but it won't work properly when added to a standard DV sequence.

What's the easiest way to convert this file to the standard DV file FCE expects? Is there any way to do this within FCE? I've tried exporting DV files with ffmpegx in the past and the results didn't turn out so good, so I'd like to avoid external utilities if possible.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

It's In The Motion Settings

Not the simplest to explain here. I just did it with a Final Cut Pro teacher in my FCP Video As Art class. You can change the size in the Image+Wireframe mode of FCP/E and then render the larger size - Render All. Had to strip out H.264 from original if your project didn't include H.264 and the 320x240 has H.264 in it.

Then export to DV/DVCPRO And that new file will be compatible with your other DV footage.

3. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

You would be best off recapturing at the correct size. Uprezing is not going to get you very good results, no matter how you do it.

4. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Thanks for the tip. I was successful in changing the size of the video but there were placement and cropping problems. I ended up throwing the 320 DV file into iMovie, then threw the resulting 720x480 DV file into FCE and exported so the audio rendered properly. It took a lot of hard drive thrashing but it worked out a-ok!

EDIT: faustfire, just saw your message. I agree that recapturing would be best, but in this case it was video game footage captured live through a DV bridge, so recapping wasn't an option unfortunately.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Resizing using the wireframe is an unneeded step. Just select the clip in the browser window, File->Export->QT conversion->DV NTSC.

Lethal

6. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

exactly! And you don't even have to do it in FCE, QT works just fine and uses the same algorithms.

7. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

dolphin842

lol, I had a feeling there was a less roundabout way to do it... quicktime was my first thought, but I haven't gotten Pro yet.

8. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I thought FCE came with QTPro, guess its only FCP.:eek: