Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scartissue

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
hi. I've shifted my music to my laptop recently, a large amount of which is in lossles quality - the apple flavor of course. Well, i've relaised Im needing the HDD space now, so i'd like to convert it to normal AAC. I've tgried this once, and every time I do, it makes an extra copy. Is there anyway I can set it up (possibly using an applescript?) to replace, as opposed to making a new one?

Dave

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
maybe

I don't think there is a way to that. I know you can do it when you import from a CD, you can choose to replace when you import. My only idea is to convert them all, then select "show duplicate songs" under edit. This will alteast tell you were they are but you still have to go through and delete the files by hand. Sorry. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea, I hope.

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
wwooden said:
I don't think there is a way to that. I know you can do it when you import from a CD, you can choose to replace when you import. My only idea is to convert them all, then select "show duplicate songs" under edit. This will alteast tell you were they are but you still have to go through and delete the files by hand. Sorry. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea, I hope.
If you do the above and then sort by Kind, you can then select the first and the last of the lossless and delete them all at once. The type column is available to view by Control clicking the song name and selecting "Kind".

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
In iTunes select the ones to convert then convert them .. it should keep the originals highlighted as long as you don't click anything else in iTunes [ it squeezes the converted ones in between the selected ] .. after converting hit delete and it will delete the originals .. select yes when it asks you to move them to the trash . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.