Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am i just crazy or does anyone else still find ppcs fun

• No, you are not crazy

• Yes you are crazy old ppcs suck

• No, you are not crazy, I still use them

• No, you are not crazy, I would use them if I could get one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Hello Everyone I recently became the owner of a 2011 11' Macbook air, it has an i5 with 4gb of ddr3 Ram, the only issue however is that it overheats on Maverick, Yosemite and El Capitan even just running simple games or applications, so it is pretty useless unless you want to use it strictly for Halo (Which oddly runs fine at a cool 130-140F, Compared to a youtube video at 150-160F), Anyways i think ive finialy figured out the problem which is the logic board (My guess is that there is some corrupted part that fails to thermal throttle it, any ways i was thinking about the good old days when I originally got into macs and ppcs and how i saved up my money and bought 4 g4 macbooks and would find all kinds of fun applications and games that would only run on them, Seeing now they are all gone i was wondering if i could turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc that could run leopard and ppc applications.

Thanks for the advice
Mason Dulemba

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
i was wondering if i could turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc that could run leopard and ppc applications.
Every PowerPC CPU that ever went into a Mac runs far hotter than what came in the MacBook Air. If the Air is overheating, there's something wrong with it. There's absolutely no possible way to do what you would like to do here.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
What do you mean by "overheating" ?

You checking Temperatures and considering "wow this is too hot !" or the MacBook Air actually warning you about overheating and eventually shutting down ?

Also, If you plan to use any MacBook for computing intensive tasks, you should put it on a table and make sure the vent are clear, so that it can cool itself efficiently.

About "turning your MacBook Air into a PPC laptop", I assume you don't mean actually changing your CPU and your whole computer architecture. (Like asking how can you turn your PS4 into a Wii U).

There is probably a PPC emulator for OS X (since it isn't included in OS X anymore) somewhere on the internet that would let you run PPC apps. However, don't expect good performances from it, especially since you are looking for games.

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
What do you mean by "overheating" ?

You checking Temperatures and considering "wow this is too hot !" or the MacBook Air actually warning you about overheating and eventually shutting down ?

Also, If you plan to use any MacBook for computing intensive tasks, you should put it on a table and make sure the vent are clear, so that it can cool itself efficiently.

About "turning your MacBook Air into a PPC laptop", I assume you don't mean actually changing your CPU and your whole computer architecture. (Like asking how can you turn your PS4 into a Wii U).

There is probably a PPC emulator for OS X (since it isn't included in OS X anymore) somewhere on the internet that would let you run PPC apps. However, don't expect good performances from it, especially since you are looking for games.
not super hot but the system log says it overheated so.......

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I've had overheating problems with a number of Macs. It seems if it has a screen built into it, it tends to overheat. I had a Macbook Pro that had to go back to the Apple Store four times for overheating issues. My iMac still overheats quite consistently thanks to what is probably a busted heat pipe. I've also read online that a number of Mac laptops throttle down when presented with heavy workloads. On the other hand, units I've had without a built-in screen (PowerMac G4 & G5, Mac Mini) seemed to have no problems keeping cool.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
I can't believe that. You may have been able to run PPC code in emulation, but it would take a huge effort to get a PPC cpu into an MBA. Even a qualified hardware engineer would have a tough time of it.
and only in a few days LOL, Here ya go ill post some more videos and pics later :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-20 at 2.48.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-20 at 2.48.38 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I don't think you understand anything about the difference between Intel and PowerPC Macs. As you can plainly see in your triumphant screenshot above, your MacBook Air still has its Intel Core i5 processor.

"Converting to PowerPC" would involve replacing all (or most) of the innards of the machine, with an entirely different CPU. Plainly, you have not done this, and I don't think it would be possible (unless you custom-fabricated almost every related component).

10.6 was only ever released for Intel Macs; the last version to run on PPC Macs was 10.5.

You are conflating real PowerPC Macs (those with G3, G4, or G5 processors as far as ones that can run OS X) with Intel Macs running a version of OS X that supports software emulation in order to run PowerPC applications, a.k.a. Rosetta. Rosetta is in 10.4-10.6, thus by installing Snow Leopard you now have the ability to run PowerPC apps.

Why you would want to do this is beyond me. It will not solve your overheating problem for the simple reason that any kind of emulation invokes a substantial processing overhead, meaning that to perform the same task in a PPC app vs. an Intel-native one, it will place a greater load on the CPU.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What you're asking CANNOT BE DONE.

You CANNOT "convert" an Intel Mac into a PowerPC Mac.

With the appropriate software (up to and including 10.6.8) you CAN run older PowerPC-based software on Macs with Intel hardware (through "Rosetta").

But the apps you are running, are running "in software" -- NOT hardware.

There really isn't much more to say about it... ;)

Reactions: arkitect

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
OP:

What you're asking CANNOT BE DONE.

You CANNOT "convert" an Intel Mac into a PowerPC Mac.

With the appropriate software (up to and including 10.6.8) you CAN run older PowerPC-based software on Macs with Intel hardware (through "Rosetta").

But the apps you are running, are running "in software" -- NOT hardware.

There really isn't much more to say about it... ;)
IM NOT USING A VM, 10.6.8 is installed directly to the 2nd partition of my ssd , It can run PPC apps and its a form of Leopard That is what my purpose was , not to take out the CPU of a PPC and solder it in a MBA
[doublepost=1464116950][/doublepost]
I don't think you understand anything about the difference between Intel and PowerPC Macs. As you can plainly see in your triumphant screenshot above, your MacBook Air still has its Intel Core i5 processor.

"Converting to PowerPC" would involve replacing all (or most) of the innards of the machine, with an entirely different CPU. Plainly, you have not done this, and I don't think it would be possible (unless you custom-fabricated almost every related component).

10.6 was only ever released for Intel Macs; the last version to run on PPC Macs was 10.5.

You are conflating real PowerPC Macs (those with G3, G4, or G5 processors as far as ones that can run OS X) with Intel Macs running a version of OS X that supports software emulation in order to run PowerPC applications, a.k.a. Rosetta. Rosetta is in 10.4-10.6, thus by installing Snow Leopard you now have the ability to run PowerPC apps.

Why you would want to do this is beyond me. It will not solve your overheating problem for the simple reason that any kind of emulation invokes a substantial processing overhead, meaning that to perform the same task in a PPC app vs. an Intel-native one, it will place a greater load on the CPU.
I like Snow Leopard and it created a challenge for me ......
[doublepost=1464117167][/doublepost]
No, you didn't.
It can run PPC apps which is what i was trying to accomplish by converting it to PPC
[doublepost=1464117251][/doublepost]If i made it run leopard would everyone be happy that its a PPC
[doublepost=1464118183][/doublepost]Video On the Way

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Humph.. Your title and wording clearly tell most people that you have somehow put a PPC CPU into an MBA. The video clearly shows that you are running on an INTEL I5 cpu. All that you have accomplished is to get Leopard to run on an MBA.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
If i made it run leopard would everyone be happy that its a PPC
10.3 and we can talk.

Officialy, Unofficialy PPCs can run 10.6 look it up
Nooooope.

Re-read my (and others') post above. You are clearly confused.

Well done on wrangling Snow Leopard onto hardware that doesn't officially support it - but I still can't fathom why you've done it, unless you're just that attached to AppleWorks ;)

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Humph.. Your title and wording clearly tell most people that you have somehow put a PPC CPU into an MBA. The video clearly shows that you are running on an INTEL I5 cpu. All that you have accomplished is to get Leopard to run on an MBA.
Read my original post my goal was to install an os that would Run PPC applications (like snow leopard ) and i did
[doublepost=1464182295][/doublepost]
10.3 and we can talk.

Nooooope.

Re-read my (and others') post above. You are clearly confused.

Well done on wrangling Snow Leopard onto hardware that doesn't officially support it - but I still can't fathom why you've done it, unless you're just that attached to AppleWorks ;)
My Bad I forgot, I was thinking of how you can Leopard on Intel Machines

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Read my original post my goal was to install an os that would Run PPC applications (like snow leopard ) and i did
[doublepost=1464182295][/doublepost]
mmmK so how else am i supposed to read this, "the last version to run on PPC Macs was 10.5." ;)
How to Run Snow Leopard On PPC
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295199-powerpc-kernel-for-snow-leopard/
:rolleyes:
If you watch the video to the very end i explain why i like PPC so much ;)
The video you posted is a Core 2 Duo inside an old G4 iMac Case....look at 2:29 Processor...in the About this (computer) Mac

For the "how else am i supposed to read this, "the last version to run on PPC Macs was 10.5." ;)
How to Run Snow Leopard On PPC means exactly that if you have a PPC processor you can only run UP to 10.5...pretty simple!

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
The video you posted is a Core 2 Duo inside an old G4 iMac Case....look at 2:29 Processor...in the About this (computer) Mac
Oops sorry my bad in class and dont really have time to watch to the end just look up running Snow Leopard on a PPC it does actually work, back in the day i did it on my Powerbook 11' G4

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Oops sorry my bad in class and dont really have time to watch to the end just look up running Snow Leopard on a PPC it does actually work, back in the day i did it on my Powerbook 11' G4
It is at the beginning!!!
Sorry but no, as stated by others Snow Leopard simply does NOT have the code to run on PPC as it is Intel only (Both Officially and Unofficially), if you really did, either you had a prototype PowerBook or a dev version of Snow Leopard (both unknown to men so far and would be worth a lot of money!!!!).

SL simply does NOT have PPC instructions.

Last edited:

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
It is at the beginning!!!
Sorry but no, as stated by others Snow Leopard simply does NOT have the code to run on PPC as it is Intel only (Both Officially and Unofficially), if you really did, either you had a prototype PowerBook or a dev version of Snow Leopard (both unknown to men so far and would be worth a lot of money!!!!).

SL simply does NOT have PPC instructions.
My Bad I forgot, I was thinking of how you can run Leopard on intel machines
[doublepost=1464188511][/doublepost]So if i did this everyone would be happy :) Seeing how im still in school and all Im not planning on doing something like that and why should I i already completed my Goal which everyone said wasnt possible

Attachments

• Macbook Air.jpg
    Macbook Air.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Hello Everyone I recently became the owner of a 2011 11' Macbook air, it has an i5 with 4gb of ddr3 Ram, the only issue however is that it overheats on Maverick, Yosemite and El Capitan even just running simple games or applications, so it is pretty useless unless you want to use it strictly for Halo (Which oddly runs fine at a cool 130-140F, Compared to a youtube video at 150-160F), Anyways i think ive finialy figured out the problem which is the logic board (My guess is that there is some corrupted part that fails to thermal throttle it, any ways i was thinking about the good old days when I originally got into macs and ppcs and how i saved up my money and bought 4 g4 macbooks and would find all kinds of fun applications and games that would only run on them, Seeing now they are all gone i was wondering if i could turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc that could run leopard and ppc applications.

Thanks for the advice
Mason Dulemba

Some posts I've read in the past on this forum can occasionally be confusing, but rarely one as confusing as this - and even more so, your follow-up replies.
From your post #1, your goal was clearly stated, "turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc" (forget the part about running Leopard and PPC applications) these would have been bi-products in succeeding.
In trying to convince yourself that you've succeeded, in fact you've deluded yourself, arguing your case totally unsuccessfully against those who state one thing clearly i.e. it's IMPOSSIBLE to convert a macbook air into a PPC.
Also linking to videos (that you've not even fully watched, and certainly not understood) is not only misleading, but imho somewhat insulting.
And if that wasn't enough, in a very immature, over-smug statement in post #21, you finally shoot yourself in the foot in saying, "i already completed my Goal which everyone said wasnt possible", could have been penned by a Monty-Python script-writer!
Your goal as stated was to turn your Macbook Air into a PPC. This cannot be achieved.
It sounds as if you are young, and have a lot to learn, so please listen to the sound advise that good-meaning and knowledgeable folks here are telling you. You can't fool them, but are deluding yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8692574

Mason Dulemba

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
United states
Some posts I've read in the past on this forum can occasionally be confusing, but rarely one as confusing as this - and even more so, your follow-up replies.
From your post #1, your goal was clearly stated, "turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc" (forget the part about running Leopard and PPC applications) these would have been bi-products in succeeding.
In trying to convince yourself that you've succeeded, in fact you've deluded yourself, arguing your case totally unsuccessfully against those who state one thing clearly i.e. it's IMPOSSIBLE to convert a macbook air into a PPC.
Also linking to videos (that you've not even fully watched, and certainly not understood) is not only misleading, but imho somewhat insulting.
And if that wasn't enough, in a very immature, over-smug statement in post #21, you finally shoot yourself in the foot in saying, "i already completed my Goal which everyone said wasnt possible", could have been penned by a Monty-Python script-writer!
Your goal as stated was to turn your Macbook Air into a PPC. This cannot be achieved.
It sounds as if you are young, and have a lot to learn, so please listen to the sound advise that good-meaning and knowledgeable folks here are telling you. You can't fool them, but are deluding yourself.

1st Post
-"i was wondering if i could turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc that could run leopard and ppc applications." The rest of the post was just backstory i guess, not trying to confuse anyone i just wanted to figure out a way to run PPC apps without a VM and thats what i accomplished i wasn't talking about Physically converting it, i was referring to converting by modding the os or software.....

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
1st Post
-"i was wondering if i could turn this obviously more powerful macbook air into a ppc that could run leopard and ppc applications." The rest of the post was just backstory i guess, not trying to confuse anyone i just wanted to figure out a way to run PPC apps without a VM and thats what i accomplished i wasn't talking about Physically converting it, i was referring to converting by modding the os or software.....
You should prob rename the title of this thread, as to me (and obviously everyone else) it sounds like you are trying to physically convert your MBA from an Intel Mac to a PPC Mac, which you cannot do. This very confusing to a lot of people.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
1st Post
There seems to be some confusion here...

"Converting MacBook Air to PPC" != "Converting MacBook Air to run PPC Apps". Yes, you got Snow Leopard (not Leopard BTW) to boot on on your mid 2011 Air which I didn't think was possible, and Snow Leopard has Rosetta for PowerPC emulation on an Intel CPU. But that does not convert your MacBook Air to a PowerPC!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.